New Grid tied system info needed

Does anyone know of a website that would have a wiring diagram of a solar array on a garage with the inverter inside the garage then AC fed to a house underground to basement to connect to house panel. the run from the garage to the panel is 80 feet. What size wire for a 3.6 kw system:D

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Grid tied system info needed

Would it not be nearly the same, as if it was all in one shed, only L O N G E R wires ?

At least put the major components where you can wire them easily, not at the top of a wiggly ladder, or on your back in a basement crawl space.

To figure out wire size - use the sticky link to the excel spreadsheet, which lets you put in the distance (one way/round trip) and amps, and tells you the loss. Keep wire losses to less than 3% if possible.

Do you have a list of components that you are using ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

While the wiring of of a Grid Tied system is not that complex--you really need to refer to your local building code requirements and the NEC for wiring type/size. And, depending on lots of variables--the exact wiring will be dependent on brand and configuration of your inverter and solar panels. Plus, you need a licensed electrician for the installation and sign off anyway--so they would be able to help you.

Your existing home's electrical system needs to be reviewed--the electrical box has to be large enough to mange the extra power from the solar array (my 3kW system needed a 125 amp minimum service).

Lastly, you will have to connect to your utility (with their paperwork). You have to confirm that your utility allows grid tied and has some sort of net metering.

http://www.dsireusa.org/

If this is your first install--all of this is a pretty big set of hurdles to jump over.

Is there some specific reason you are asking the question this way instead of looking at equipment and installer type questions?

If you have an old home that is not equipped for Air Conditioning (or electric hot water, electric heat), you would probably need a new utility service, new breaker panel, etc.

Overall, the copper wiring will be a relatively minor cost of the overall installation.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thank you for the responses. The reason I am using two buildings is that the garage is located perfectly to recieve un shaded sunlight with perfect geographic orientation. I have a 200 amp panel in my basement to tie into. I am in a catch 22 here. The system comes with a detailed instructions which I need to know before I can submit a one line drawing to the building department. I have to have serial numbers for all the equipment to qualify for a $3.50 a watt rebate, along with the electrical inspectors approval. In short I have to buy the system to find out if I am allowed to put it in and get money back. The local solar guy sent an inexperianced young man with a camera to look at my system and I never got a quote.
    My electrician friend said to ask the solar guy. I will submit the papers to the electrical inspector and if I am wrong he will correct me.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ilex wrote: »
    My electrician friend said to ask the solar guy. I will submit the papers to the electrical inspector and if I am wrong he will correct me.

I think I'd trust the collective wisdom on this board, before "the solar guy".
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The (licensed?) electrician should be able to use the NEC code to define the minimum conduit size/fill and the gauge and insulation...

3.6 kWatts of solar panel should give you 15 amps or less--enough to fit a 20 amp circuit (240 VAC). Now, you can use the Excel spreadsheet to double check how much voltage drop you would get from a 60'*2=120 foot run (probably closer to 150' or more--including turns and runs up walls, etc.).

Then you go back to the NEC, compare conduit size, fill, branch circuit rating, etc. to code--May require different insulation for wet space, etc...

Jim/Crewzer here is very well versed in the code--and he can give you very accurate information.

And for the roof, there is UV rated wiring.

Again, without knowing the make / model of your inverter and the make/model/number of solar panels--it is difficult to give more accurate answers. You are welcome to post the information here--this site is hosted by a Solar Retailer (Northwest Arizona Wind & Sun) and promote a free flow of information--regardless of vendor.

Do not trust your city code/inspector--they have the final say--but they do not always know, or care, about what they are inspecting (and they are not liable for their mistakes).

The licensed contractor, on the other hand, is responsible for their mistakes--and have an incentive to get it right--But don't blindly trust them either... If they cannot explain something clearly or something does not look right to you--ask/complain/research. There are lots of iffy people out there.

Are you trying to purchase your own equipment and have it installed? Install it yourself? Or what?... Generally, a solar installer makes much of their money on "selling the equipment" to you... They usually are not very interested in installing owner supplied equipment.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

for conduit use the 90 degree c rating.