PV Inverters

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but not new to solar PV.

I've been searching around the forums and don't see many of you guys using KACO inverters.

My question to you is: why not?

KACO seems to have an awesome line-up and you can get them dirt cheap from Nettles Solar (nettleselectric.com).

...I don't think they have the inverters for sale on their website, but if you're interested then just email marc@nettleselectric.com, he's the guy I got them from.

I've been searching around and the price vs the failure rate is really good compared to other inverters.

Now, I may be a little biased because I use KACO inverters on my system, but I've had no problem with them, where as I've heard SMA inverters have been burning up battery banks (DOH! >.<)

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: PV Inverters

Well, spec wise they are pretty limited

Input voltage range: 125 - 400 VDC , All the Majors ( Xantrex , SMA ) are 190V- 600 V

CEC rated efficiency 93.5% , probably one of the lowest on the list efficiency wise

No built in disconnect

No Communications options ( built in or otherwise )

as for prices, a Xantrex GT series is very cost effective, $1800 street price for a 3000 watt inverter, compared to $1500 for a 1500 watt Kaco inverter with No disconnect or communications

http://www.beyondoilsolar.com/inverters.htm
    http://www.atensolar.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=1501xi

SMA burning up battery banks??? pretty hard to do when they are ONLY gridtie inverters

And your post seem more like spam than a real end user
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Haha, SMA definitely has battery backed up systems, check their website.
    They have one right down the street from me! I've seen it in person, a full battery bank burned up, dead.

And actually KACO's do have a disconnect and communication.

KACO inverters come with the KACO ProLogic which not only gives you a readout but also transmits the info so you can view it online.

125-400 VDC?
    The input voltages are up to 1000 VDC and are all rated for at least 600 VDC.

Also, what is Xantrex's failure rate?
    KACO has <1%, which is pretty important when it comes to something that isn't just pocket change.

Xantrex and SMA have somewhere between 2.5%-7% (from my research)

The efficiency rate of 93.5% is only on 1 model, and I have to admit that it is a bit low, but they're developing new inverters with higher efficiency rates.

Also, SMA, Xantrex, and all the other leading inverters have fan cooling, where KACO has a heatsink instead. I live in Florida and it makes sense not to have salty air being pushed onto the circuit board corroding all the parts.

I would say do a little more research before trying to burn KACO.

And do some more research on SMA and Xantrex.
  • Solar Guppy

Well here in the info from there web site

http://www.kacosolar.com/Inverters.php

Clearly states 400V as the maximum for the 1500 - 3600 watt inverters

1000V inverters, please provide a link with that data sheet

I did miss the info on the RS232/RS485 easylink , but the link above showes no information about a built in NEC 690 compliant disconnect

As for cooling ALL Xantrex GT's are convection cooled and sealed, ( no fans )

SMA 2500's are convection cooled, the larger units only pass air onto the heatsink not the electonics. PV powered is convection cooled

I could only find a price for the 1500 watt unit, google showes no place to buy anthing else please feel free to add links to your post

As for what I know, well I have tested Xantrex, Outback, PVpowered, Fronius Gridtie and Battery based inverters with lab quailty test equipment so I know a thing or two about the units, current I have 12kW of Gridtie PV with two Xantrex GT5.0's and a GT3.3 . I also have on hand a XW-6048, and Outback GTFX3048, Charge controllers from Xantrex, Outback, MorningStar, Bluesky, BZ in both PWM and Mppt variants.

What is your system?, whatlead you to your conclusions?, what peformance testing have you done and if so how did you collect your data?

All Sunnyboys are Gridtie only, there are SMA Sunny Islands, but those are NOT standalone offgrid inverters Like Xantrex SW/XW or Outback FX series inverters. I see no links for KACO offgrid inverters so not sure what your comparison is about.

Xantrex and SMA are number one and number two in Gridtie sales in the US, nothing in the spec sheet ( link above ) or the price ( link in previous post ) would suggest I would recommend trying a different unit as your attempting to do.

If you have links to test data, relaibilty data, efficieny data or street prices please add to your post

Here is the independent testdata on the available KACO inverters: ( which confirms the limited voltage range as the data sheet showes )

http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/inverter_tests/summaries/Kaco%20Blue%20Planet%201501xi.pdf
    http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/inverter_tests/summaries/Kaco%20Blue%20Planet%202901xi.pdf
    http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/inverter_tests/summaries/Kaco%20Blue%20Planet%203601xi.pdf
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Not to get into spec. wars, but from Kaco's own website, the latest "home sized" units:
    Features:Electrically isolated dual converter principle in HF technology
    Available for 2.0 - 6.0 kWP Generator Power
    Input voltage range: 125 - 400 VDC
    User-friendly, illuminated KACO display with two-key operation
    easyInstall front flip panel
    Compact and lightweight enclosure design
    Integrated BiSi grid monitoring with patented anti-islanding process
    Data output via easyLink RS232/RS485 interface
    It is not clear in the installation manual that there are any approved AC/DC disconnects inside the unit, but the manual does state:
    A disconnect switch shall be provided by others for the dc input and ac output circuit.
    And, I too believe that convection cooled units are more reliable--as fans always have a limited lifetime... But, you are wrong for the Xantrex GT units (I have 3kW unit on my wall right now)--it is a connectively cooled unit and has no fans.

KACO does not appear to be a bad Grid Tied inverter--but it can use some improvements in operating temperature range. Again from the KACO installation manual:
    Temperature: Ensure that the GT Inverter is mounted in a
    location where the ambient temperature range is -4° to
    +104° F.
    Whereas the Xantrex GT series (PDF data sheet):
    -13°F to +149°F (-25°C to +65°C)
    +104° F is a pretty serious temperature limitation for an outdoor unit. As well as th 100-400 VDC input voltage (you need just a 2:1 range for a single setup between running hot at Vmp and cold day Voc rating--does not leave much in the way of alternate string configurations to support different numbers of panels to fit the needs of the site).

By the way, do you have any detailed information/links on return rates for Xantrex, KACO and others? Most companies keep that data pretty much to themselves.

-Bill

Just saw SG's links to the California solar testing (required for rebates)... Looks like Vmax is 300 VDC on the model tested (300 VDC may be the maximum at which MPPT works--which is even a more serious limitation--Xantrex disables MPPT tracking at 550 VDC--at least for my model).

Yes, just confirmed from the KACO data sheet (PDF) that 300 VDC is the MPPT limit.

Also looks like the operating temperature range may have been fixed (at least for the 4.8 kW unit)--it is listed in the data sheet as:
    -5˚F - +149˚F
    -20˚C - + 65˚C
    Which is better than what was listed in their installation manual (mistake somewhere?).
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

The specs on the Kaco and the install manual do not match.

The spec sheet says it is up to 149F, while the install manual says 104F.

We had them listed on our site for a while, but had almost zero interest in them. I see they now have (or soon will have) new models, but it is not clear on their website if the specs are for the old or new models.

95% of our sales are Fronius, Xantrex, and SMA for grid ties.
  • System2
    Well here in the info from there web site

http://www.kacosolar.com/Inverters.php

Clearly states 400V as the maximum for the 1500 - 3600 watt inverters

1000V inverters, please provide a link with that data sheet

Yes actually, that is the 1501xi that has that on the datasheet, I apologize, but all inverters are rated up to 1000V since they come straight from Germany, but they are only listed up to 400V under UL.
    I did miss the info on the RS232/RS485 easylink , but the link above showes no information about a built in NEC 690 compliant disconnect

KACO's new inverter do have NEC 690 compliant disconnects, they just haven't updated their data sheets on the website, I have a hardcopy of the their new data sheets somewhere.
    As for cooling ALL Xantrex GT's are convection cooled and sealed, ( no fans )

SMA 2500's are convection cooled, the larger units only pass air onto the heatsink not the electonics. PV powered is convection cooled

Did not find any of that information on their site, link?
    I could only find a price for the 1500 watt unit, google showes no place to buy anthing else please feel free to add links to your post

As for what I know, well I have tested Xantrex, Outback, PVpowered, Fronius Gridtie and Battery based inverters with lab quailty test equipment so I know a thing or two about the units, current I have 12kW of Gridtie PV with two Xantrex GT5.0's and a GT3.3 . I also have on hand a XW-6048, and Outback GTFX3048, Charge controllers from Xantrex, Outback, MorningStar, Bluesky, BZ in both PWM and Mppt variants.

What is your system?, whatlead you to your conclusions?, what peformance testing have you done and if so how did you collect your data?

All the data I have has been from direct communication with John Nettles of Nettles Solar, who is involved in every solar movement I can think of.
    Also, I know a man that works for KACO USA in California who also used to work for SMA, he provided me with the technical aspects of things.
    I've seen all the performance testing results from KACO.
    All Sunnyboys are Gridtie only, there are SMA Sunny Islands, but those are NOT standalone offgrid inverters Like Xantrex SW/XW or Outback FX series inverters. I see no links for KACO offgrid inverters so not sure what your comparison is about.

I did not know you were talking about offgrids only, this posting is in the "Grid Connected Solar Electric & Wind" section, so I figured only grid tied systems would be discussed here, but KACO does provide offgrid inverters. And yes, it is the Sunny Islands that I was referring to. KACO is also bringing out the KACO GridSave which is it's line of battery backed up inverters.
    Xantrex and SMA are number one and number two in Gridtie sales in the US, nothing in the spec sheet ( link above ) or the price ( link in previous post ) would suggest I would recommend trying a different unit as your attempting to do.

KACO is the 2nd largest inverter company in the world, and they also offer one of the best warranties with I believe it was 10 years and then it was you can have it rebuilt after the warranty period for $500, instead of buying a new one.
    If you have links to test data, relaibilty data, efficieny data or street prices please add to your post

Here is the independent testdata on the available KACO inverters: ( which confirms the limited voltage range as the data sheet showes )

http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/inverter_tests/summaries/Kaco%20Blue%20Planet%201501xi.pdf
    http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/inverter_tests/summaries/Kaco%20Blue%20Planet%202901xi.pdf
    http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/inverter_tests/summaries/Kaco%20Blue%20Planet%203601xi.pdf[/QUOTE]

True, the voltage is limited but that is not a bad thing as you make it seem.
    The lower starting voltage on the 1501xi and the low starting voltage of all the KACO inverters means that when the sun comes up in the morning, a KACO inverter will turn on faster than an SMA or Xantrex.

Take for example a cloudy morning, a KACO inverter will power up soon after sunrise, even on a cloudy morning, whereas an SMA or Xantrex can stay powered down until 11am due to the wattage they need to power up, meaning with a KACO you have more run time during the day than SMA or Xantrex.

As for the temperature difference in spec sheet vs installation, I seem to recall asking about this very question and they stated it was 149F.

It's like on my car tires, they say to inflate them I should inflate to 44 PSI, but then there's a warning on there that says never inflate over 40 PSI. Silly contradictions.
  • System2
    Windsun wrote: »
    The specs on the Kaco and the install manual do not match.

The spec sheet says it is up to 149F, while the install manual says 104F.

We had them listed on our site for a while, but had almost zero interest in them. I see they now have (or soon will have) new models, but it is not clear on their website if the specs are for the old or new models.

95% of our sales are Fronius, Xantrex, and SMA for grid ties.

Here in Florida from what I've heard talking to companies was that SMA and Beacon Power were two big sellers, but KACO is now starting to outdo them due to the quality of their design.

After speaking with KACO, they said they came in late on the California market and it's hard to get into the market after the fact, but they are rising in sales.

I don't have every bit of information from them, this is just the research that I've been doing talking to solar companies and attending expos and events in Florida.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take for example a cloudy morning, a KACO inverter will power up soon after sunrise, even on a cloudy morning, whereas an SMA or Xantrex can stay powered down until 11am due to the wattage they need to power up, meaning with a KACO you have more run time during the day than SMA or Xantrex.

I don't think I've ever had trouble powering up on a hazy/light clouds morning. just have no amps till the panels get enough light. Amps from panels is what gives you power, not the starting volts. Cloudy day here in Calif this AM, and while the inverter powered up at sunrise, as normal, first 2 hours had no real production. Clouds

But, the 300V limit on the MPPT is a killer. You want to run voltage around, not amps. You WANT a wide input voltage range, so it can run at high voltages in the early cold mornings, and still produce power at the hottest part of the day. You want to run as high as voltage possible, and 600V is the spec limit for the most common wires.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Cloudy day here in Calif this AM, and while the inverter powered up at sunrise, as normal, first 2 hours had no real production. Clouds
    But, the 300V limit on the MPPT is a killer.

Exactly, so as where your inverter won't produce power for the first 2 hours, the KACO inverter will still be able to produce power.
  • BB.
    True, the voltage is limited but that is not a bad thing as you make it seem.
    The lower starting voltage on the 1501xi and the low starting voltage of all the KACO inverters means that when the sun comes up in the morning, a KACO inverter will turn on faster than an SMA or Xantrex.

I am not sure that is true--A solar panel's operating voltage is pretty much hit once there is sufficient light/sun. However, the output current of a solar panel is pretty much proportional to the intensity of sun.

For example, assuming that the KACO inverter 3kW inverter has, roughly 50 watts of tare losses--there will have to be sufficient current (times voltage) for the inverter to power up. Even if the panel hits 125 VDC (for a 250 volt string--for example), there still is not enough current (would need 0.4 amps*125VDC=60 watts) before the first watt can be sent out the utility power line.

Watching my Xantrex GT 3.0 kW unit, my panels run around 300-320VDC, and I will see the inverter try to start at 200 vdc with 0.2 amps or less--and it will fail with an under voltage. And even if it does manage to light-off, there is still only 0-10 watts being sent out to the grid--virtually nothing.

Whether the minimum starting power is 125volts*0.4 amps or 200volts*0.2 amps--the results are the same--until there is sufficient current (and voltage) to actually run the inverter circuits, nothing is going to go out the line.

And, your question about the Xantrex GT series:
    Convection cooled, fan not required
    Plus, the one on my wall does not have any fans, and SG was involved in designing and testing the GT for Xantrex.

It sounds like you have more information than almost anyone else out there regarding KACO--including their own website. Looking forward to the update data sheets/website.

Assuming you are correct, then it will be better for the consumer to have more top tier suppliers out there.

The Beacon system--looks interesting--but a bit different. It is a 120 VAC output unit with integral battery charger for grid-tie/off grid operation. A bit limiting for US use in that does not appear to support 240/120 VAC operations.

Also, its MPPT range appears to be very limited--sounds like a real pain to wire up 4kW of solar panels at that low of voltage:
    Electrical M4 / M5
    Continuous power rating 4000 VA @ 50°C / 5000 VA @ 45°C
    PV operating range 48 – 110 VDC
    MPPT control range 50 – 85 VDC
    PV open circuit voltage 110 VDC (max.)
    Input power 4800 W / 6000 W (max.)
    DC input battery voltage 48 VDC (nominal)
    DC input battery voltage range 44 – 60 VDC
    Continuous charge rate 100 A (max., no AC load)
    Battery type VRLA
    Battery temperature sensor Included; 25’ lead
    AC output voltage 120 VAC (nominal)
    AC output voltage range 106 – 132 VAC
    Frequency 60 Hz (nominal)
    Total harmonic distortion Less than 3%
    Efficiency 93% (peak)
    90% / 89% (CEC rating)
    Looks a bit similar to the new Xantrex XW system--which suffered from delayed release into the market..

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but not new to solar PV.

Welcome

Now, I may be a little biased because I use KACO inverters on my system, but I've had no problem with them

Do you have any examples of the web interface or logging outputs of KACO ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kacos seem good, but that 400v ul limit is often a problem.

So how much do they cost at Nettles Electric?
  • Solar Guppy

Will I did some searching, I looked the IP address for Solar Marcus posts and it comes up as Palm Harbor, Florida

http://en.utrace.de/?query=65.34.94.2

I then googled "Palm Harbor Florida and KACO" and I found this:

http://www.hcpassociates.com/press25.asp

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:dTYYLepqUsEJ:www.hcpassociates.com/Clients.asp+palmharbor+kaco+solar&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

So my money is this concerned solar poster is a Marketer for KACO, based in Palm Harbor Florida. Also In Tampabay is Solar-Source, one of the largest, if not the largest installer in Florida ( I also know the owner personally ). If anyone was to do Solar, they would use someone 30 minutes away, not in KeyLargo, 6 hours away ... which by way looks like the only installer using that manufactures inverter That I have found

SG
  • Windsun

Kaco is currently distributed in the US by AEE solar, supposedly, but they only show 1 of the 1500xi units in stock.

http://www.kacosolar.com/pdfs/pr/PR_KACO_aee_solar.pdf

Retail would be around $1500-$1600. Not sure what the status is of the Kaco-AEE deal is right now, as I am sure that Kaco and all other European made inverters are going to be hit hard by the fall of the US dollar in the past few months.

Kaco up until a few month ago was sold direct to installers and dealers, but that distribution chain did not work out well at all for various reasons.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Not to go too far off track, but I am curious, perhaps even concerned about something.

Solar Guppy states:

Will I did some searching, I looked the IP address for Solar Marcus posts and it comes up as Palm Harbor, Florida

http://en.utrace.de/?query=65.34.94.2

My question is: While I understand the administrator of the site, and perhaps the moderator having access to IP address information, but why( how?) does a member gain such access? I am not really paranoid (but a complete computer illiterate)! but for some reason it seems scary to me that anybody can (or does) know where we are when we write anything to this (or any other) forum.

Any one have any insight?

Icarus

(Currently in Northwest Washington State, often in Northwest Ontario, sometimes in Maine, once in a while somewhere else,,,if anyone is interested)
  • Windsun

Look up at the upper right corner of any message in blue bar, there is the IP.

Everyone that you connect to anywhere in the world can find your IP address. The only way to really hide your IP is to not connect to the internet.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

As I say in my tag line,,,," I learn something new every day!"

Thanks.

Tony
  • System2

OK question-

and probably a stupid one at that, but... why are there start up limits ? and why is it dependent on how much amperage the inverter puts out, depending on the voltage from the panels? Guess I don't understand the mechanics of inversion systems very well....
  • BB.

Jack,

There are several "starting" issues... For grid tied inverters, UL and the utilities require the Grid Voltage and Frequency to be within specs. for a minimum of 5 minutes before the Grid Tie inverter can begin to deliver energy to the grid. And, if the utility voltage or frequency varies from set limits, the inverter must go off-line and wait for 5 min of good power before delivering power again.

The other start up issue (you may be talking about) is how the inverter (or MPPT charge controller) starts when the panels first start to get sun...

Basically, the MPPT devices (both grid tied inverters and solar charge controllers) are, more or less, similar to switch mode power supplies used in computer systems.

To run these switching/conversion circuits, a certain amount of minimum power is required. You can guess the amount by looking at the efficiency of the devices. For example a 95% efficient 3kW grid tie inverter has 5% losses. So, roughly, the amount of internal power needed to even "wake up" the switch mode power supply and its controller would be 0.05*3,000watts=150 watts. Or in reality since there are losses from the electronics operating and losses from current moving, perhaps 1/3 or so is the electronics--or 50 watts in this example.

Now, solar panels can be strung together in series and/or parallel to match the voltage and current requirements of the controller. For a common grid tied system, this would be around 200-550 volts DC and the current would be around 1-15 amps (for a 3kW inverter).

Since the converter is a "constant power" device--it means that any V and I will work as long as the 200-550 volt range is met, and V*I=50watts or more...

So, when the system first wakes up, the panels will go up through 200 vdc, and the inverter will try to load it for 50 watts--or P=V*I => 50w/200v=0.4amps minimum required current. If the P=V*I from the solar array is insufficient, then the inverter controller will "fault" and try again later.

Now, when you setup your solar array, you will see a Vmp and Imp rating... Typically, this the Vmp**mp=Pmp (or maximum power point that the inverter tracks) of the solar panel array. So, roughly, the point at which the solar panels can sustain the load of the of the inverter is going to be near the Vmp of the array (at temperature). So, if the Vmp of the array is 200 vdc, then the inverter will start around 200 vdc.

If the array Vmp is 300 volts, then the inverter will start drawing power around 300 volts to start up and start to deliver power to the grid. (50w/300v=0.17 amps). As the sun intensity increases, the inverter will pull more current out of the arrays and anything more than 50 watts will be sent out to the grid.

-Bill
  • newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The admins of this website choose to make the IP address public. The wind-sun server will read the IP address of whoever is requesting a page, but they don't have to share that info with the users. I'm not saying they shouldn't. In fact, I like that they do.

There are services that will anonymously bounce your internet requests so that people can't tell your true IP address.

If you don't have a static IP address, your IP doesn't identify exactly you anyway. Your ISP assigns one to you when you connect, but it can change.

Back on topic, it certainly wouldn't be a shock if OP was doing some guerrilla marketing.

Yep AEE only has the 1501xi 1500w inverter from KACO on their website.