inverter cooling fan noise

wxh3
wxh3 Solar Expert Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭
Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this question.

This may seem trivial, but one problem I have with my current small standalone system is the noise from my inverter's cooling fan. I have a 12V 300W Samlex pure sine inverter and it only kicks on the fan when a sensor reaches a certain temperature. Unfortunately, in summer when the room temp is relatively warm it takes less than ~10W to cause this to happen. Even though the fan isn't terrbily loud, since the room is a bedroom, it is pretty annoying (especially to my wife!)

Does anyone know of some inexpensive inverters that either don't have a fan or have a high threshold before it comes on? Or maybe I could try to muffle the sound somehow by placing in a box? Of course that probably woudn't be good for cooling!

Does a 24V Samlex inverter run a lower temp perhaps for a given load and thus maybe havea higher wattage where fan would come on?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: inverter cooling fan noise

get a fanless inverter?, the MorningStar SureSine is fanless and 300watts

Do not do ANYTHING to "muffle" the fan, its comming on because it needs the cooling, thats it's function.
  • wxh3
    get a fanless inverter?, the MorningStar SureSine is fanless and 300watts

Thanks! I plan to order one unless I decide to make my switch to 24V...then I need to get a (hopefully fanless) 24V inverter.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

You might try orienting the inverter so that the cooling air intake is facing down. This might promote some amount of convection colling and reduce the need for the fan.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what the history on the fan has been, but you may need to clean out dust and fur, like cleaning the coils under a fridge. Maybe when the dust is gone, the fan will run less.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Re the Suresine 300, I got one, loved it. Very impressed, and ended up getting a second. One is in 24/7, the other is switched by it's dedicated load.
    Quiet and reliable. Very happy with them.
    Wayne
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

This is too obvious, so I am sure you have already thought about it, but why not just move the inverter to a location where you can not hear it?
    Larry
  • wxh3
    rplarry wrote: »
    This is too obvious, so I am sure you have already thought about it, but why not just move the inverter to a location where you can not hear it?
    Larry

Just not a very convenient option for my set-up...currently the batteries, charge controller, solar outside connection, and load are all located in the same corner of a room and there isn't a good relocation option.

I have the fanless Morningstar on order and will keep my old one as a backup.