testing my panel's output

Oooh here's another thing I've been wanting to do. So I have these 190w B modules, and I just want to see what I'm really getting out of them, next sunny day. If I just lay one of these out in the yard and use my volt meter on the connections that should tell me what my wattage out put is right? any idiot checks for folks like me?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: testing my panel's output

There are 2 tests to make on each panel.

1) set your DVM to VOLTS DC 25V range, or something a bit highter than the max output voltage listed on your panel.
    Measure the panel voltage, and record it.

2) reconfigure your DVM to AMPS DC, usually involves moving a connector. Again set to a scale a little over the rated amps of the panel. Measure again, and maybe with a wooden clothes pin, clip the leads together, record the current, leave it all connected - wait a couple minutes, and then record the current again. The power from the short (DVM) you applied, will heat the panel up a bit, and you'll get a more real life reading.
    The CURRENT / AMPS will vary depending on the angle to the sun, and the intensity.

Some like a 3rd test, where you connect a panel to a 12V battery, and measure the current, but the state of the battery becomes a questionable item, a small battery wont accept as much power as a larger battery would, and a fully charged battery wont accept as much either. But you can have fun, and maybe spill some battery acid doing it too.

[ edit - DON'T FORGET TO re-configure your DVM back to VOLTS after reading the AMPS,
    or you will cook it if you forget and try to see how many amps are in your battery when
    you thought you were measuring VOLTAGE. ]
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

different test ways to lead different results,the output power is a little different. If you source panel from some company(not famoous),you should be careful.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Mike90045 hit the nail on the head. You need to make both of these tests. A panel with a high internal resistance, such as a bad solder joint, can still give a perfect voltage reading, but will show up when you do the current (amps) reading. Shorted cells for example, will pass full current and make the panel look OK on the current reading, but will show up in the voltage reading.
    Wattage is normally determined by multiplying the Amps by the Voltage. HOWEVER, in the above test, doing that will give a greatly inflated value, because when under no load, the voltage will be much higher than in normal use. Likewise, during the current test, the panel is basically under short circuit conditions, so the amps output will also be higher than when in normal use.
    Cheers
    Wayne