Tile Roof

I just replaced my Barrel (spanish) tile roof 3 years ago.

I have the clay style (orge) tiles.

Can I still safely mount any solar collectors in this roof or would it take a big re-roof section?

Thanks!:D

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: Tile Roof

In general, from what I have seen when working with roofers and others, tile roofs are difficult to work on without cracking tiles or even have one break under-foot and possibly lead to the worker falling off the roof... So, many contractors are not very willing to work on these roofs.

You might get a quote from an installer or two for two different installs (composition shingle vs tile) and see what the difference is...

I doubt the difference would be enough to make it worthwhile to re-roof this section with shingle--and the power generated may not be economically worth the cost either...

You might be between a rock and a hard place with this installation and left to go with solar over tiles and pay for any additional repairs that may be required (broken tiles) after the install is done...

Also, try talking with your roof installer and see what they suggest (perhaps they help install the standoffs)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Also, the Tile roof is not used in anyway to support the panels. What is typically done is a single tile is removed, a bolt installed to the sub-roof/raffers and the the tile is drilled ( hole ) for the bolt. repeat about 50 times for an average array

Very labor intensive, lots of tiles would get broken in the process as BB pointed out and no one wants to do this type of job. Other than that, its a piece of cake :roll:
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

A lot depends on how old the roof is, primarily if barrel tile was attached with mortar (old roof)or poly-foam (newer roof).

Poly-foam is pretty good stuff.

I would still not leave $10K+ worth of solar panels out during a hurricane no matter how well the attachment is done.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    A lot depends on how old the roof is, primarily if barrel tile was attached with mortar (old roof)or poly-foam (newer roof).

Poly-foam is pretty good stuff.

I would still not leave $10K+ worth of solar panels out during a hurricane no matter how well the attachment is done.

It was just replaced a couple years ago. It has tar paper, then a layer hot mopped tar, then a layer of heavy tar paper (thick sheeting) then a layer of adhesive goop (looks like heavy glue) then the clay/concrete tiles.

Does that help?
  • autoxsteve
    autoxsteve Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

My solar system is installed over concrete spanish style tiles.

You can check out some pictures of my roof and some of the bracketry used to install the rails and panels here.

FYI, there are now 3 homes in my neighborhood that all have had their systems installed by the same company....
  • System2
    autoxsteve wrote: »
    My solar system is installed over concrete spanish style tiles.

You can check out some pictures of my roof and some of the bracketry used to install the rails and panels here.

FYI, there are now 3 homes in my neighborhood that all have had their systems installed by the same company....

Steve, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!
  • System2

Hello -

We install photovoltaic systems in the South Bay Area, CA and just finished a really nice install in Saratoga with curved S-Tile. This is an 8Kw system using 40 Sanyo-200's and a SMA SB7000.

We use a 2 point power post attachment with a flashing that goes with the curve of the tile.http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?page=2a3ada06-f526-48f1-9a90-efbfd66a74c2&plant=e1ddb141-8aec-4c27-a5f5-b5119640a6fa

System is operating great ~ 40-45 KWH/day.

Feel free to contact if you are in the area and need assistance.

Rusty Sage
    System Engineer
    Cobalt Power Systems, Inc.
    (650) 938-9574
    rustys@cobaltpower.com