Solar Boost 2000 charge controller question

Options
I have a SB 2000 charge controller and have been using with a 240 watt array and 4 6v batteries with great success. I am getting a new travel trailer and am thinking about 3 130 watt/7.2 amp panels and 6 6v batteries. Anyone know if the Solar Boost 2000 controller will be adequate or should I upgrade the controller?
Thanks!
Steve

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Boost 2000 charge controller question

Steve, the pro's here will need a bit more info to help you, like make and model of the panels plus the specs for the panels as well as the same battery info....

What you are proposing is at (actually over) the SB 2000e limit of 20 amps (25A max).

Also I assume you are in a 12 v configuration.
    cheers
    Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

ideally you should've bought a larger mppt controller in the first place, but i know this isn't always foreseen or afforded at the time of purchase. you are over the limit as set by the nec with those 3 pvs, but in reality the controller would handle it and limit the output. the drawback here is if you get good mppt action that boosts the current to over the limit you will not reap that extra power through mppt. i also suppose you could possibly parallel another controller with this 2nd controller handling the 3rd pv or a 4th for future expansion as shared controllers should never share pvs. the easiest thing to do is to get another mppt controller of the proper ratings capabilty with the sb2000 either sold or kept as a backup 'just in case'.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Would the SB2512ix handle the 3x130 W PV's with enough overhead?

Michael
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

No

Thats 390watts of PV, into a 12 volt load is ~32 amps ... Your unit is 25 amps maximum
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks for the input everyone. The panels are Kyocera KC130TM rated at 7.39 amps each so just over 22 amps output total. The best I got out of the 2 7.2 amp panels was about 15 amps. That was at 10,000 ft elevation, peak sun and cool temps. I only saw that output once, it was usually less. The SB 2000E controller is rated at 25 amp output. If I get a 10% boost that would still put me under 25 amps. Is the worst that can happen wasting a bit of power, or is there a chance of damaging the controller? I'm not opposed to upgrading the controller, but I do like this specific unit. I was going to let it go with the camper I just sold, but I swapped it out for a smaller "spare" Kyocera controller I had and kept the newer 2000E. If you think I should upgrade controllers, what would you recommend? I only actively use the solar for 2-3 weeks a year.

One more thing, I am thinking about a "whole coach" inverter setup. I will mostly be running the tvs, stereo, satellite and other misc. battery chargers etc. from 120v power. Obviously the water pump, heater (I use catalytic lp heaters so don't run the forced air furnace too much), and lights run off 12v power. In my previous setup I had a 400 watt inverter for the entertainment center. I will now have an additional tv/satellite in the bunkhouse as well and don't really want to have another inverter wired that far from the batteries that are going to be in the front under the bed. We are not getting an oven in the new unit, we opted for a micro/convection oven. I would like to be able to use the microwave if needed (very limited use), and a central vac on occasion. Would the Prosine 2000 inverter be a good choice? The microwave will be a full size over the range type, probably 900-1000 watt output. I don't know the specific draw of the microwave at this time. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again for the help!
    Steve
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Related discussion:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=2558

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deezl wrote: »
    The microwave will be a full size over the range type, probably 900-1000 watt output. I don't know the specific draw of the microwave at this time.
    Steve

Knowing the input to the microwave will be important, if it's 60% efficient, you can pull 1400 watts (at 12V, that's 116 amps.) A battery and cable that can supply that for 2 minutes is OK, but to go for 6 minutes (2 potatoes) will stress a 12V system 24V would be better for the large draw loads, but that does not help the 12V appliances.

Hopefully, someone using a full size microwave may have some actual #'s from it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,