What to do with a AIR 403 i think

t12zh
t12zh Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I bought one today with a new set of CF blade's, $100.00.
Looks like it need some repair work.
1 ) What is the best way to get it done.:confused
2 ) What is the best way to I.D. it.:blush:
3 ) Can it be traded in or upgraded.
Looks like it will do the 48 Volt i want to start with.
Looks realy simple

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: What to do with a AIR 403 i think

i can't say much on the repair aspect except to approach swwp about it, but how do you know it needs work and on what?
  • t12zh

It was taken apart.
    looks realy simple.
    It need nose cone, part that had 4 bolts threw it at the base that swivels is gone ( It is the half shell piece that clamps to the pole)
    PMA looks real nice.
    Epoxyed control unit looks bad.
    He also bought new brushes for it.
    Just need a plan of atack.
    There was an invoice in the box that dated 9-21-2000 for the blade's.
    Where the brushes fit int the molded control unit looks like it got hot and lightly melted it.:blush:
    I will get it going.:cool:
    Greg
  • niel

very good. let us know your progress and what you find with it.
  • t12zh

Well it is an air 303 not a 403 that i though it was.
    they said it would cost $209.00 for an upgrade that leave's it a 300 watt unit.
    Or i could get a discount from $725.00 to $507.50 on a new air breze they also offered me.( 200 watt unit )

What i realy need to know is what is in that control unit, can i work arround it somehow.
    What route should i go.
    Greg
  • t12zh

What to do is a hard one.
    Air Breeze is 200 w unit but might work better for my area class 2 wind in pueblo Colorado. It was made for lower wind speed that might work better for me???????????

Or go with the air X that is 400 w i think. And it will do the 48V i want.

Question is what is better for Grid Tie.
    Greg
  • niel

as to what's in the controller i would imagine a regulation circuit of some sort, but i don't have one let alone have taken one apart to be specific.
    it seems to me that the only one to make a decision would be you as i see it as swwp making money on you no matter what. you have the option of attempting repairs yourself too, but i am not recommending that either as you don't know what lies in front of you with any decision made will be by you.
    i know i'm not being much help here and i'm sorry for that, but i haven't been loving swwp and as always when we do advise the final decision lies with those seeking that advice.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard that to get the higher voltages out of a wind gen, it requires the higher wind speeds. Something about them, they won't get to the high voltages (48V) at low speeds.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

The only time you will get any energy out of this fried unit is when u light it up with a thermal lance and fry some burgers...... if it was in operative spec as new you may be able to defrost a mushroom or two:cry:
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Anyone for a bar b u8)
  • t12zh

I would like to look at the idea of going to a 48 Volt rectifier up in the unit.

I could install this very easy.
    If the stator and armature in the unit now will work with a different rectifier other than 12 Volt.

Then run it down to the house with anouther rectifier and or charge controller.
    Hmmmm Just an idea
    Greg
  • niel

i hope you aren't thinking a rectifier diode controls the output voltage because it doesn't. if the higher ac voltage form isn't there then rectifying this with a different diode will not change that. also understand that rectifying diodes are not the same as a zener diode that will regulate a higher voltage that is already present, but even that does not make the initial ac input change to a high enough value and if it's not wired to output high enough ac you just won't get that high in dc without inverting it. sometimes alternators do have multiple outputs or phases that can be added together, but i wouldn't know if that wind genny would be capable of this and if so i couldn't say if it would reach your voltage objective. if it does it will sacrifice some of the current capability as watts = watts so going from 12v to 48v would mean 1/4th the current.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

Years ago, we used to take the regular old alternator in a car and put a kit on it that bypassed the normal regulator so that you could get ~120 VDC out the little guy (had to run the RPM up--could not do it at idle--IIRC from 35+ years ago.

I did a quick search of the web and I could not find one listed anywhere... Was intended to run lights and Universal AC/DC motors (like Skill Saws and power drills).

So, it can be done--but it looks like it would need a bit of research and possibly finding the right model of alternator (like an old one with perhaps an external regulator) to make it work... Plus you would probably need to spin it at a goodly RPM.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

bb,
    you're right about some of those car alternators, but we have no idea if his is setup that way for 1 and 2 from the way he spoke it sounded like he may think that changing the value of a rectifier diode from 12v to 48v would give him what he wanted. rectifier diodes aren't rated like 12v and 48v as you know, but zeners are capable of such a rating being they are regulators. even at that he couldn't just put one of these diodes in place to change voltages. his only possibilities are in doing like you described or as i had said in rearanging the rectified sections to become additive if it is even capable of these things. now if he knows something we don't about it, i'm eager to hear it.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get more volts out, you need higher RPM.

You will also loose amps.

Consider what the BLADES are capable of, If your blades can only extract 200watts in a 10MPH wind, you can change things around, and get 2V at 100A, or 20V at 10 amps. you cannot get 20V at 100A.

Voltage is dependent on the speed of change of the magnetic field, and amps are usually restricted by the wire size. As in the "Convert your Car's alternator to 120V", to get the higher voltage, you HAVE to increase RPM's With a 8mph breeze, you can only get so many RPM's and that limits your voltage.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,