Converting 12V wind genset to 48V?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
I should set up my unused wind genset now that I have a bucket truck and can safely service the unit. It has an automotive alternator. Thinking I’ve read it can be converted to 48V? 
Bought it over 10 years ago, I’m sure the little Alaskan fab shop has moved on.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Options
    Question is how to convert a 12V automotive alternator to 48V. Perhaps youtube has a vid.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Options
    Heard it is simple but have not found a simple way to do it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    I would not do it--But there are voltage doublers (and 3x...) just using diodes and capacitors:

https://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Voltage-doubler-circuit.php

https://itecnotes.com/electrical/electrical-voltage-multiplier-step-by-step-explanation/

Note sure how you would wire with a 3 phase alternator with these multiplier circuits... And for high currents, probably need pretty large capacitors (and diodes).

Otherwise, run a 12 volt bus/battery and use a standard electronic Boost Converter to whatever voltage you want... Still not a "simple/cheap" setup (extra 12 volt battery, etc.).

https://www.amazon.com/dc-buck-converter/s?k=dc+to+dc+buck+converter

Finding a >40 VDC output simple/cheap boost converter may not be easy either.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    thinking more about it - I suspect it might be most efficient to use it charge a smallish 12V battery bank and run evening/early morning power gobblers off of it. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:
    thinking more about it - I suspect it might be most efficient to use it charge a smallish 12V battery bank and run evening/early morning power gobblers off of it. 
    That makes sense to me because the net power produced is not likely to be monstrous. If it turns out to be a good healthy, reliable power producer, you can expand it.
    Hoping all is well with you and yours.
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    softdown said:
    That makes sense to me because the net power produced is not likely to be monstrous. If it turns out to be a good healthy, reliable power producer, you can expand it.
    Hoping all is well with you and yours.
    Marc
    Only recall reading one book about wind energy. That book stated that the useful range for "home grade” wind gensets was ~15 - 30mph. This is a windy area but I doubt the wind falls in that range more than 10-15% of the time. Might be wrong if mounted high enough though. I see the commercial grade wind gensets turning, at a useful speed, when ground speed is only ~10mph. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Those are also on 30 meter towers (generally residential "grade" systems) to 140 meter towers (100-140 being utility grade systems).

Your mileage may vary (just a quick search, don't know anything about link)

-Bill

1. Wind Energy Maps and Data. Find maps and charts showing wind energy data and trends. Filter by Turbine Hub Height. 30-Meter Residential 40-Meter Wind Speed 50-Meter Community 60-Meter Wind Speed 100-Meter Land-Based 100-Meter Offshore Also See: Data by State. Tutorial: ...

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    Whatever it takes to bring down our energy bills. Oh wait.