Pretty cold for this part of Texas

Options
Marc Kurth
Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
We have some weather rolling in that will keep us below freezing between Saturday night and Wednesday noon. We just are not used to 9F and rain/snow mix that doesn't melt off in a few hours. I think I will just hang around the house because folks around here don't know how to drive when the weather gets cold! I have plenty of wood, food, water, and human antifreeze. :)

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.

Comments

• SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited January 13 #2
    Options
    Here in South Central Washington state, we are experienceing a colder than normal trend also. It has been cold and we have a 5°F predicted for the high today. On a bright side I have sold 6 cords of wood in the last three days that I wasn't expecting to sell and gave some away to some older shut ins.
    Been working on others freezing pipes. The four I have unthawed or repaired freeze breaks on justed needed to keep the water running at a drip. Newcomers to the area, and didn't know the fix to be a constant drip!! LOL

The human anti freeze sometimes burns when it goes down, so I know its doing its job!

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brrr   that is cold for me also. You are lucky there is not snow in the mix. I keep hearing 105mm howitzers shooting at Heavenly for avalanche control.  
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Denver is seeing some close to historic low temps as well. I’m in the states coldest region so I should be used to it. Spending last winter in Denver spoiled me. Like I’ve never spent a winter here. Having a hit or miss memory is like starting over again - frequently. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14 #5
    Options
    46 degrees, overnight here so I doubt I'll be getting any sympathy from this crowd.  B)

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Marc Kurth
    Options
    Seeing the temperatures that are way below zero in the Northern Plains makes me quite happy with our 17 degrees this morning. Interestingly, my house is holding 70F with just a standard heat pump. We will see what happens when it gets colder tomorrow night.
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Options
    And here in New England we were at 55F yesterday. This is bad news for those of us that are unlucky enough to need to plow snow off of dirt roads and driveways. No frost in the ground means it's like trying to plow the snow off the top of a plate of oatmeal.
  • Marc Kurth
    Options
    Sunset last night might be the light at the end of the tunnel. We have been at 12F to 28F for a few days and nights, but we will be out of the freezer tomorrow! We will be back in the 60s in a few more days.

• manzanita2
    manzanita2 Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited January 16 #9
    Options
    Glad that everyone is hanging in there! My weather was cooler than usual, but certainly not what others have faced. I did have the misfortune of being outdoors all day for four of the cooler days. (Normally I can retreat indoors whenever desired.)
    @softdown - My brother was in Colorado for one year, unfortunately he was struggling to adapt to the cold weather. He's in southern Utah now.
    @Marc - Liking your pictures! Hope you do get warmer weather. People around here can't handle snow and ice either.
  • Miller_Ranch
    Miller_Ranch Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    Brrr   that is cold for me also. You are lucky there is not snow in the mix. I keep hearing 105mm howitzers shooting at Heavenly for avalanche control.  
    I'm guessing SumPower doesn't want to hear any howitzers in Snoqualmie pass.   That would let everyone from the Coast into eastern Washington.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Not getting this Miller.   Heavenly is a Ski area above me in Northern Nevada above Lake Tahoe. The way they are flooding in from Marc's state and few others, who cares😉 about eastern Washington?
     I hear you can get 2200 a month, a hotel room, medical, and a cell phone these days. My grandfather had to go on a Sail ship around the horn and wait for 3 months on Angel Island. Just to get a green card and start the process of citizenship.

Is the cell phone a titanium model?

• Marc Kurth
    Options
    Eastern WA doesn't want the folks from the coastal side invading.
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    And I thought it was just Californian's

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    I think it is Oregon that does not want Cali.  That may have changed...

• Marc Kurth
    Options
    Seattle people are not like Eastern Washington people. I think that the Seattle metro area is over half of the state's population.
  • littleharbor2
    edited January 18 #16
    Options
    I moved up to Vancouver Wa. in 1980 for about 4 months. Wasn't treated badly but who knows what they were saying behind my back.
    Blitz Weinhard and Henry Weinhard had some pretty funny Anti California commercials back then.

The most "Oregon" commercial ever made: Blitz Weinhard (youtube.com)

P.S. Did get to see Mt. St. Helens act up and moved back to Calif. just before it blew.

• Miller_Ranch
    Miller_Ranch Registered Users Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    I moved to Seattle in 1984, the city was going thru some hard times. The was a billboard that read " Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights"  Whenever I started a new job the first question was , are you from California?  When I said I was from Chicago every thing was cool.

The Cascades split Washington and Oregon, very blue on the coast side and red on the east side. Oregon is the same and both states seem to be getting worse. Sad to see.

Good thing you were not in Yakima Littleharbor2 when Saint Helens blew, they got the brunt.
  • littleharbor2
    Options
    I moved to Seattle in 1984, the city was going thru some hard times. The was a billboard that read " Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights"  Whenever I started a new job the first question was , are you from California?  When I said I was from Chicago every thing was cool.

The Cascades split Washington and Oregon, very blue on the coast side and red on the east side. Oregon is the same and both states seem to be getting worse. Sad to see.

Good thing you were not in Yakima Littleharbor2 when Saint Helens blew, they got the brunt.
    We had a postcard view of St Helens from our bedroom window. Moved back to California around May 1st. She blew on May 18th.

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    The Oregon side on interstate 5 says We hope you enjoy your stay. On the California side it says Welcome to California.

People would add / paint on the Oregon side "short"  

It is the same story all over, people in high price zones moving and driving up your price to buy a home in your hometown.

Very sad to see !   One thing hopeful is that 70% think we are on the wrong path!

• Marc Kurth
    Options

We had a postcard view of St Helens from our bedroom window. Moved back to California around May 1st. She blew on May 18th.

Nice timing! 
    I haven't been back there in way too many years. I took this shot that shows the crater steaming on the left and a lenticular cloud forming on the right.

• littleharbor2
    edited January 19 #21
    Options

Nice timing! 
    I haven't been back there in way too many years. I took this shot that shows the crater steaming on the left and a lenticular cloud forming on the right.

Wow!! a relatively cloudless sky.  B) That's something I didn't see when I was up there.