Solid-state battery VS Lithium-ion battery

Options
jennyzhang
jennyzhang Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭

Solid state batteries and lithium-ion batteries which is the future of enengy storage?

What do you think?

Comments

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Things are changing at a 'fair clip' with new technology and manufacturing processes. Who knows what will be next?  When I went with LifePO4 as I was trying to get the last little bit of life out of the 'ol FLA Trojan L16s, all I wanted to focus on was the track record of the vendor and the particular model of battery. I was satisfied that the company would be around (it is but has been acquired) and that the model of battery had proven itself reliable and the company supported the product. There wasn't much thought that LifePO4 was in every way better to my needs over lead. And the replacement bank has exceeded my expectations in every way since commissioning. But they had one downside and that was overcome be focusing on amortized cost and not the original outlay. I am now crossing the two year anniversary toward what I hope will be a total of at least 10 years.

One thing is for sure, my model of battery has already been superseded and any failure is going to be a PITB. Especially after a few more years pass. An echo in my ears to this day: "How can a company warrant their product for longer than they've been in business?" On the inverse, lead batteries have 100+ years of track record with little change. How can one argue with that?

But if I can get through 10 years and have at least three of the original four survive to that point (regardless of warranty), it won't be me dealing with the next bank. So what will be there in 10+ years? This I can predict: "Do not use this (new tech) battery in conjunction with a LifePO4 battery or dangerous conditions will be present".
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • JRHill
    Options
    So Jenny, not doing your own system but just stirring up conversation, what do YOU think? What would be your buying/selection criteria?
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JRHill said:
    So Jenny, not doing your own system but just stirring up conversation, what do YOU think? What would be your buying/selection criteria?
    Me thinks Jenny is A. I.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• jennyzhang
    Options
    Good Day,JRHill!
    I think Solid-state batteries are the future of energy storage.

The cathode material is lithium iron phosphate,electrolyte is replaced by solid liquid electrolyte.
    The advantage of this technology:*Higher energy density,Smaller Siza.
                                                          *It's safer,No fires No explosion.
                                                          *More stable performance,Long cycle life.
                                                          *High temperature stable,support fast charging.

• jennyzhang
    Options
    Hi littleharbor2!
    Every time I see a comment that says Jenny is AI I find it very intererting.I don't konw if it's the topic I posted  that's causing you to speculate,but I can say for sure that I'm not AI.

Have a good time!

Jenny
  • SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited October 2023 #7
    Options
    I'll just say you are on my watch list. LOL!
  • jennyzhang
    Options
    Haha,well,it feels like all my posts are saying that Jenny is an AI.Can I ask you why you think I am an AI?It really makes me feel helpless sometimes.
  • JRHill
    Options
    When you are with real people never speak in monotone and with choppy sentences,
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    I guess that Jenny is out of Hong Kong, China... She probably learned and works in English better than I--Born and raised in California (and never was very proficient with English--Let alone other languages).

Although--With Google Translate and other tools out there these days, there are quite a few ways get help--Jenny may be practicing here (I used Google Translate quite a bit when helping my oldest learn Mandarin Chinese when my wife was not available--Me an Mandarin and almost 4 decades of marriage... Not so good).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jennyzhang
    Options
    I'm glad you could reply and answer my questions.Yes,I live in China and my English is not very good.I am trying to learn,often need to use translation software.Maybe it's the language difference that has led to speculation about my authenticity.

Haha,and the intermittent sentences that JRHill says,and I guess it's the question you asked me on this topic and then Ianswered it.My format is intended to give you a clear idea of what I'm trying to say(maybe it's like I'm doing homework and answering questions)

• SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Options
    For me, learning a new language without living around the native speakers had been a steep learning curve. Good luck with your English.