Is there any way to choose an electric log splitter that will run on my inverter?

Options
I have a Schneider Conext SW 4024 Inverter with 1350 AH of lead-acid battery behind it, running in 120/240V mode. It starts random 3/4 HP motors, and most 1 HP motors on 120V with no problems. But electric log splitters seem to start at 1.25 HP, and reveal nothing about their starting surge. They all seem to say "1500 W" regardless of the HP rating or "tons" of force produced. And all I've seen are 120V. I suspect most of those ratings are created by the web guys writing the descriptions...  

There should be no necessary relationship between current draw and splitting force, if one is willing to sacrifice speed. It should even be possible to use a "soft-start" motor (like my deep well pump) and avoid the starting surge. But it seems hopeless to find such information about the current crop of splitters. 

Does anyone happen to know of a splitter designed to be inverter friendly? Or have actual measurements of the power draw of a splitter that might work for me? Or know of a 240V model or a motor that could be converted?

I can be very patient if it moves slowly...  

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    See if you can find a photo of the motor data plate... Many motors for tools (like smaller air compressors) can have a 120/240 VAC (change motor wiring in the J-Box) capabilities.

https://woodgears.ca/motors/voltage.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Loren, I don't know if you are just splitting wood for yourself/neighbors or its a business but if I had to choose I would stay with yet another small engine ESPECIALLY for a log splitter. 

Last year I added an electric saw for limbing and small stuff under 5". And a few spare batteries. I love it. But for a splitter I would not go electric. Extension cords, etc., There is nothing like having a gasoline engine that can deal with speed and difficult pieces. And surge loads to the system.... If you have to investigate a soft start electric log splitter, my gosh. Is this you biggest challenge of the day?
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Loren_Amelang
    Loren_Amelang Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:
    See if you can find a photo of the motor data plate... Many motors for tools (like smaller air compressors) can have a 120/240 VAC (change motor wiring in the J-Box) capabilities.

https://woodgears.ca/motors/voltage.html

-Bill
    I wish! It seems all of the small electric splitters are made in China and provide almost no details about their construction or performance. And only a single overall photo, in which most of the motors look identical. Probably not a good sign...  
  • Loren_Amelang
    Options
    JRHill said:
    Loren, I don't know if you are just splitting wood for yourself/neighbors or its a business but if I had to choose I would stay with yet another small engine ESPECIALLY for a log splitter. 

Last year I added an electric saw for limbing and small stuff under 5". And a few spare batteries. I love it. But for a splitter I would not go electric. Extension cords, etc., There is nothing like having a gasoline engine that can deal with speed and difficult pieces. And surge loads to the system.... If you have to investigate a soft start electric log splitter, my gosh. Is this you biggest challenge of the day?
    I need lots of tiny <15" long wood for my woodburning cookstove, and lately oak seems to be falling from the sky regularly - the trees are having a hard time. I bought a (corded) electric chainsaw last year, and I love it - no fumes, only a bit of noise when it is running, way more torque than my gas chainsaw, and always ready to go even for just a few cuts - no problems with mixing and draining fuel! I have 120VAC outlets near the barn and woodshed to run it. 

So I thought maybe an electric splitter. As for speed, I'm 75 and half blind, so I'm the speed limit! But the surge loads could make the wrong electric splitter unusable here. The alternatives are paying unknown locals ~$100/hr plus travel costs, or buying finished wood for ~$500 per cord and still having to clear the fallen wood from the yard. If I knew of a splitter that would work here, seems it would be a good investment. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The wrong electric splitter could make your inverter unusable. Diversify your investments 😉
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• ELYNN4
    ELYNN4 Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Options
    If you look for a kinetic wood splitter (one with a fly wheel) such as Super Split or the DR knock off of Super Split, you will find a splitter that has a 3/4 or 1 HP electric motor that will run circles around the type you are looking at.  Of course you have to pay a little more - ok a lot more, if you want a quality splitter.  I have used mine for ten years and split well over 100 cords of wood.  Only two grease zeros and a little WD 40 for maintenance.
    Off Grid, 4.5KW array, 9&6KW Gens, 6848XW inverter, Midnite Classic 150, 2 strings - 48V - Trojan FLA L16 2V, located in Talkeetna, Alaska
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nice splitter !  Keep in mind that the OP is running a CSW 4024.  Huge difference from an XW6848. If he is offgrid and does this, he better have a spare. Especially on a Saturday night 😉  Cheers time !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• ELYNN4
    ELYNN4 Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Options
    Good point on the differences between the inverters Dave - easy to take my inverter’s abilities for granted.  Under no load the splitter draws 90 watts, the cycle time is two seconds, with the 150 pound flywheel the electric motor doesn’t pull down much at all.  It is awesome - heirloom quality.  Happy Easter from up North
    Off Grid, 4.5KW array, 9&6KW Gens, 6848XW inverter, Midnite Classic 150, 2 strings - 48V - Trojan FLA L16 2V, located in Talkeetna, Alaska
  • Loren_Amelang
    Options
    Wow - the Super Split is impressive! But none of the sources I've found even hint at the price, probably a good clue I couldn't justify it. And their web page says you need to be quick to stop the stroke _when_ (not if) the 1Hp motor stalls. And I suspect starting the flywheel spin is also a serious load...  I've pretty much decided to pay the local guy with the precise automated system to deliver the tiny 15" cookstove wood, and use all of the fallen oak in the outdoor wood boiler which can handle 35" logs. 

I do have a spare inverter, and an emergency inverter for the fridge and electronics, but I really don't want to have to resort to them! 
  • OutsourcedGuru
    OutsourcedGuru Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options
    I need lots of tiny <15" long wood for my woodburning cookstove, and lately oak seems to be falling from the sky regularly - the trees are having a hard time.
    Somebody sold me an electric chop saw for $50 and I use this to slice off anything from 6" to 16" logs and branches for various stoves. For what it's worth, I just connect this to my 3000W generator and it does just fine. Once you've started it, just keep the button pressed and use the bigger piece to push the just-cut piece off the side; it's the start-up current that peaks like that. This method is much faster than using a chainsaw or a hydraulic splitter for anything six inches in diameter and smaller.
    I'm a low-cost installer of solar in western New Mexico.
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Speaking of chop saws. When I was doing some remodeling ran one on a tiny 400W Onan generator.  Not powerful but very light.  The saw would kill the generator on start.  Used a 120/24V transformer out of an old UPS to make an auto transformer with about 100V output. That gave me more current. Still had to bump the engine once to get it to speed and not kill the engine. It worked fine.  This only works with brushed motors. 
  • SumPower
    SumPower Registered Users Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Options
    Pricing for the electric supersplit, my neighbor has one and it works fine on his off grid system. Actually kind of envious.

• JRHill
    Options
    All I can say is that nothing beats the gas powered 26t 8hp tow behind. Oak crotches, cottonwood, you name it, it doesn't flinch. Yeah, I've rebuilt the fuel system a few times despite trying not to have that come up. I've looked at PTO units and electric but simple is better even if it involves yet another small engine to maintain. The unit can stand vertical to avoid lifting a big trunk but that doesn't mean you won't screw your back up scooting and shoving the big hunk around on the ground.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • OutsourcedGuru
    OutsourcedGuru Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options
    SumPower said:
    Pricing for the electric supersplit, my neighbor has one and it works fine on his off grid system. Actually kind of envious.

The SuperSplit begins at $3000 for the small one and goes up from there. HomeDepot sells a 9-ton gas-powered Champion for under $700 and a new chop saw might run you $200.
    I'm a low-cost installer of solar in western New Mexico.
  • JRHill
    Options
    SumPower said:

The SuperSplit begins at $3000 for the small one and goes up from there. HomeDepot sells a 9-ton gas-powered Champion for under $700 and a new chop saw might run you $200.
    I bought my 26t at a farm store at an end-of-season sale for less than 25% of that cost. Yeah, that was years ago but still....

$3000?!? They should come up with a LifeP04 option for a starting price around $6k. It'd sell like hot dogs at the fair.