New Outback FXR3048a

jACKr
jACKr Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
4 days into a new system, and I'm seeking advice here.
Does anyone know of any issues with interference with any inverters especially Outback, with home wireless devices and other devices and modules. (Security Systems and Wireless Cameras)
I currently have a damaged Internet Modem since power up of a new FXR3048A, and FLEXmax 80. I have a replacement on way from provider.
Is it possible it was Surged at power up? It does live on a Panamax Surge Strip, with other connected equipment. Being a Netgear Router, and Fiber Optic module.
Another issue is, in wee hours of 1AM to 5AM, I get numerous(3-5) mini outages. Power is dropped and restored. 
Any advice, will be highly appreciated.
 Mahalo jACK

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any long wire runs outside the home need to be protected. For Offgrid the FM80 inputs should be protected, TV antennas, etc.

The internet equipment was protected but how do you know the panamex surge strip was good? The red led?  Much better to protect all of panel breakers with a whole house or Midnight SPD and a new panamex. 

Have you had electrical storms? In Hawaii they have plenty of them. What are the events recorded by the FRX? It will tell you what happened BTW.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Regarding "outages"... Assuming battery voltage is good and you are not drawing too much power and overloading the inverter... Your inverter has a "search mode" where they look for ~10 Watts or more 120/240 VAC load and "Turn On" (search mode is an option to "turn off" the inverter when there are no AC loads).

If search mode is turned on with very light loads (typically less than 10 Watts AC) the inverter will turn off and "pulse" the AC output (like 1 cycle of 60 Hz power every 1-2 seconds) to "search" for new loads (>~10 watts).

Inverter energy usage:

https://www.solar-electric.com/outback-power-fxr3048a-01-hybrid-inverter.html
    • Idle power: 34W full, 9W search, 3W off
    NOTE: this "power save/search mode" may be different for this Outback inverter--Connected to Master/Slave units????

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    1) "4 days into a new system, and I'm seeking advice here."
    2) "Does anyone know of any issues with interference with any inverters especially Outback."

#1, this is a new problem since the inverter replacement?
    #2, Where do you have a problem with solar stuff that is LOUDER than the radio signals. I as Dave said: "Any long wire runs outside the home need to be protected.**

In my humble opinion with Outback 15 years in, any interference is coming from your panels and wiring and next your charge controller. In my opinion the OB inverter is pretty clean. It is the panels and feed AND the FM80. The FM80 is the tank that would free the Ukrainians if it could be turned into a munition. It is the device that is tough. 

If your radio signals are so weak that the OB equipment makes them noisey - well, best wishes.

** I have spiderwebs going out from the home to out buildings. If I am by those lines the reception on AM/FM is gone. Bzzzz. But if I go to either side by 15-20', clear. I can get 'some' radio reception. WiFi seems to not care.

Go to the Outback forum. You will find a guy named Raysun in HI. If you can, do whatever he says.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    BB, you are worth your weight in gold. Are you skinny? Anyway, your advice is always excellent.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • jACKr
    I appreciate the responses! This FXR3048 or FLEXmax80, had to have surged (thru a confirmed surge protecter), a Hawaiian Tel Fiber Modem. No issues before the 3048 install. It was the only surge damage. This is a home I built, I know it well. The Modem has been replaced as of 4-4-23. Time will tell if all is resolved?
    Oddly, a number (wide variety) of low voltage devices, lights etc. would pulse/flash for 3 nights (wee hours) after power up. No events in the MATE give any clues. Only events in MATE are obviously factory build events, by the attached dates.
  • jACKr
    Being somewhat newer to this forum, a question to understand a feature, or not?
    How can I follow a member, that has a lot of knowledge ?
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might try the Outback forum. I'm not a member but am on the Midnite Solar forum and the engineers will chime in to technical questions.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    You cannot follow a person... But you can setup different notifications here:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/profile/preferences/

Notification Preferences

General

NotificationEmailPopup
    Notify me when people write on my wall.
    Notify me when people reply to my wall comments.
    Notify me when my rank changes.
    Notify me when people comment on my discussions.
    Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.
    Notify me when people mention me.
    Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.
    Notify me of private messages.

And you can click on a person's name and click on Discussions they started, and all of their comments.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset