frozen pipes

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
My underground water pipes ,about 5 ft under, froze solid this year while I was away for a couple months. Its been happening this year around the northern places. We have just started warming up now and I notice some condensation coming out of the pipe inside which is open,1 inch copper.Now that we are in the 35-45 degree days and 25 degree nights ..how long do you think before the water starts trickling out which will quickly melt the  freeze plug...the plug might be 20 ft long maybe...????How many days.??
Tagged:

Comments

• Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If you have an electrical welding machine, it is quite common to put a current through copper pipes to provide resistance heating to thaw them - Google this and you will find lots of advice.

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You must go through a lot of welders.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Options
    That Bobcat in your signature would work nicely.  A welder is perfect as you can control the current.   Heat = current squared x Resistance!

Project I was on in Kazakhstan involved pumping concrete in minus 40 C weather for grouting a dam foundation - no problem, hook up welder to pumper pipe to keep concrete from freezing!

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500