Off Grid Solar Power need to keep Generac Standby Generator Battery Charged so it will start

Options
NorthernMI
NorthernMI Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello,

I am new to solar and have been reading up but need some expert advice that I haven't found on Google yet for my particular issue. 

I have an off grid barn where I recently ran some electrical and installed a Generac 7.5kw standby generator. I assumed the generator would charge its battery when it was running but since it is designed as a "standby" generator, it is supposed to get its power from the house to keep its battery charged. The generator has an onboard control panel which is consuming some power as well. 

So one thing I plan to do next is run a wire from my panel to the T1 connection on the generator so when the generator is running, i will backfeed power from the panel to the T1 which will start charging the battery. However, I will not be running it every day so the battery will still die on me. 

Can solar keep this battery charged for me in Northern Michigan winters? If so, what do I need? Can I do it for under $500?

The battery that needs to stay charged is a Group U1 and is around 350 CCA I believe. 

Comments

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You should be able to find your answers in this link.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will you be running the generator at least once a week ?   How long do you run it for ?
     You are out of the normal operating mode for the generator, and so you have to kludge something together , that will recharge the battery during the run  time and then completely shut down the electronics until the next run.

Trying to run the control panel and keep the battery charged, is going to be cost prohibitive, and I think you will be better off with a 30A automatic charger running off the AC output when generator runs.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,445 admin
    Options
    You are correct, you do need to float charge the generator battery bank for off grid usage if you do not have a "permanent" AC power connection (utilty, or possibly your AC solar system).

The simplest is to just get a small solar panel and charge controller to float the battery bank. If you know the current required by the generator control system--That would be helpful... Otherwise, running a minimum of 1% to 2% rate of charge to the generator battery should be enough. For example, if you have a smaller 50 AH 12 volt battery:

• 50 AH battery * 0.02 rate of charge * 17.5 volts solar Panel Vmp * 1/0.77 panel and controller derating = ~23 Watt panel nominal
    And a 2 amp minimum rated solar charge controller should be good enough (unless the control panel is taking more than a minimal amount of current--Which would require a larger solar panel+charge controller--And you would need to calculate the daily discharge/load).

If you have lightning in the area--Then you would need to be very careful about ground bonding your solar panel frame/racking to a ground rod with 6 AWG cable, and add (not cheap) good quality surge suppressors too--You don't want to bring lightning into your backup genset.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NorthernMI
    NorthernMI Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Guys,

Thanks for all the quick replies. This is great stuff. As another idea, I was planning to hookup a battery disconnect on the generator battery so it would just keep the control panel from sucking any juice and I don't really need the control panel on since I'm not using it as a true standby generator on Auto mode.

Mike, I'll be running it at least once a week for at least an hour at the bare minimum. 

Bill, We did ground the 200 Amp panel with 2 solid copper ground rods we banged into the ground. Are you saying we should run a ground from the generator to those ground rods as well? I do get crazy storms and lightning around here.  Also, I have been looking at the Renogy solar kits, any experience with them and which kit do you think would be a good fit for me? My budget is around $500 so if i can get something that can keep my battery charged but could also power a pull string light then that would be great. I was looking at this kit specifically. https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-volt-solar-starter-kit/

I was going to mount it on the south side of the pole barn's walls and the generator is about 30 feet away plus the panels will be 12 feet off the ground so total run of 40 to 50 feet. I figured on the roof with the snow would not work very well. 
  • BB.
    Options
    From my understanding, when you have distribute power (and loads) such as a genset in another building, a well pump 50 feet away from the house, etc., for lightning control, you should put a ground rod next to each installation with a minimum of 6 AWG cable (or you can use the "real" lightning braided cables") to direct lightning to the ground and not let it find its own way else where.

And for electrical safety, I highly suggest that each distributed ground rod all be connected together with 6 AWG minimum cable--This is to to provide a better green wire safety ground (i.e., 120/240 VAC safety grounds all connected together--Just driving random ground rods do not conduct enough 120/240 VAC current to trip your 15+ Amp breakers in your AC panels).

Lightning will only follow 6 AWG cables for 10-20 feet or so, before they find a different path. And things like right angle bends (vs large diameter bends) also can cause lightning to leap to a different path.

Do not put your ground rod in the middle of the building (for example). Lightning wants to go "outwards" towards the walls and wiring/plumbing in walls naturally (lightning is not DC or 60 Hz power, it is a radio frequency event and follows a more complex set of rules for impedance vs pure DC resistance rules.

Providing ground rods next to the "remote" devices shunts the lightning directly into the earth. Surge Suppressors at the major sources (genset output, main AC panel, and DC suppressors on solar power into the building, etc.) all help. 

https://www.solar-electric.com/search/?q=midnite+surge

For float charging the genset battery bank--Keeping the system small and simple vs going large with 200 Watts is not useful for a small genset battery float charger. And if you have lightning damage--A small system is easier/cheaper to repair or replace.

With AC safety grounding (such as green wire/white wire bonding in the main breaker panel, or other location)--You want a single point of bonding. With lightning ground bonding, you want multiple points shunted to ground (especially if power usage/generation is spread out around the property).

No protection will withstand a direct lightning strike. You will have repairs. But keeping people safe, and mitigating damage from nearby strikes all helps.

Here are some links to lightning discussions:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/84242#Comment_84242

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you there offgrid in the winter? Very important info on how to proceed if there is snow.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A weekly generator warm up, with an AC powered charger, would keep the battery up.   weekly seems kind of frequent to me.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BobbyD7505
    BobbyD7505 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Dave Angelini, 
    We live off grid all year round and we get snow. We have the same exact generator and situation that’s being discussed in this forum but, we run our generator one hour every morning and one hour every night to charge our solar batteries up so that we don’t lose power but, our battery died after only eight months and we just replaced it. But now when we run the Generac generator, it runs but it’s not charging our 12v solar batteries back up?  
  • BobbyD7505
    BobbyD7505 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Dave Angelini,
    I also should’ve mentioned that we do not have it hooked up to a continuous electrical support, when we start it, we plug it into a battery starter, Press the manual start button on the generator, then we flip the power switch on the generator to the on position. After we’ve run it for about an hour or an hour and a half we then switch the power switch off since the generator runs so hard, then we turn the generator off and unplug the battery starter. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is an old thread. You should start a new one or update all of the previous threads to your exact situation.  Good Luck!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    Options
    BobbyD,

Yes, as Dave asked, start your own thread/discussion. It will make it a lot easier to discuss your questions/hardware/etc. and not confuse it with the original poster's discussion.

-Bill "moderator" B.
  • Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    Options
    A neighbor has this same problem  with keeping the 12V backup generator starter battery maintained in an off grid installation. 

The solution is simple, just a small 25 W or larger dedicated panel and a cheap 5 Amp PWM charge controller direct to the generator battery.   Very easy to do for way less than $500!

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500