Fixing energy hungry giant freezer.

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
This thing seems to be running 1/2 the time. Think this mod will help?
Intake and exhaust are uncovered.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you sure of where your consensing coils are?
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    There are intake and exhaust vents in one corner. I also mapped it with a temperature gun. No hot spots except a little at the large exhaust port. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited February 2023 #4
    Options
    Foam panels bolted to the outside of the fridge/freezer can condense humidity and the water can corrode the skin of the freezer, or even freeze to ice... Expansion of ice... Allowing more air circulation and water/ice/corrosion.
    You may want to take a foam panel off 6 months from now and check the conditions underneath.
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    Perhaps. This is considered an alpine desert. Have that in my favor. Should check periodically. Thanks for the heads up. 
  • softdown
    Options
    Looking forward to 6am voltage readings! 
  • softdown
    Options
    Wonder how it would do with, say, an ~1/2" gap between freezer and foam panels. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited February 2023 #8
    Options
    I don't think an air gap will help... Insulation wise, probably not as good. And with an air gap, you get more air (and moisture) circulation.

You could try something relatively benign like Silicon Seal (pretty easy to clean up).

Make sure foam is "closed cell" (vs open cell) so that air/moisture does not migrate through the foam panels.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    AM voltage up from 49.3 to 49.5 in spite of watching tv until 10pm instead of the usual 9pm. That seems worth it.  Pretty sure low voltage readings are also hit by avg. battery temp of ~34F. Have a number of freezers full of food. Considering the starvation predictions....

A lot of things may happen to me. Starvation is not one of them. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    softdown said:

Even folks who plan ahead may be in for a rough ride.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    softdown said:

Even folks who plan ahead may be in for a rough ride.
    If one has food, water and fuel they should be in relatively decent shape. What I fear is running low on battery power and batteries do not store real well.
    I have, I think, ~5.5 kWh of lithium batteries in storage. No longer enough for all these freezers and stuff. A freezer of food lasts a single person a LONG time. 

Never seen anything close to all the extremely dire predictions currently taking place. Then we have all concidences/attacks on our food, water, energy and infrastructure. Interesting times.