Getting Automatic Generator Start with a Honeywell 22kW Gen and an OutBack Power Mate3

Options
Hello! We have an off-grid system with solar and use the OutBack Pre-wired Power Center with an OutBack Power Mate3. We recently invested in a home standby generator - the Honeywell 22kW Air-cooled Generator (powered with a Generac engine). We wired the gen for a 2-wire start and have the Mate3 programmed to start the gen when the batteries get below a certain SOC. However, the generator won't auto start; we've been having to manual start it every time. The generator does successfully then charge our batteries after manually starting the generator and "turning on" the generator from the Generator Screen in the Mate3.
Is there something we are missing? Is there a separate component to get the AGS to work? Or should the Mate3 work for that function? The generator came with a transfer switch, which we did not install since we are off-grid and NOT grid-tied. Do we need to install the transfer switch in order for the Mate3 to communicate to the gen to turn on?

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you're doing it the best way possible already.  AGS scares me silly.  Just starting and stopping my generator gives peace of mind.  No chance of running while away and not watching things, running out of fuel, coolant or engine oil etc.
  • stillchillin
    stillchillin Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a generac stand by for my off grid system. I ran 220v to the terminals that power the battery charger for the generator maybe labeled L1 & L2 I installed a rib relay in the circuit and wired the circuit through the normally closed contacts. When my AGS calls for the generator to run it energizes the relay, opens the circuit, the generator thinks I have lost power and it starts. hope this helps. No transfer switch required. Stillchillin
    18- 235 W Kyocera panel, 12- 4-KS-25PS Rolls 1350 Ah, Magnum MS4448PAE, ME RC50, ME AGS, Outback FM 80, Generac 8KW LP generator, 6.5 Honda Portable generator