Absolyte GP Battery Bank

Options
NevadAdobe
NevadAdobe Registered Users Posts: 3
I am new to solar forums so I appreciate any assistance/direction. I was able to purchase two decommissioned Absolyte GP style battery banks @ 48 volt configuration. Are there any members using these style batteries/banks that can tell of their experience with them. Thank you for your input!

Comments

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no direct hands-on experience with them. But I will say that everything depends upon your expectations. We have seen some reasonable success stories and some abysmal failures using used UPS batteries. Keep in mind that your batteries were specifically designed for occasional fast/hard discharging and then lots and lots of hours to sit on Float after recharging. This is a very different usage profile than the typical operation seen in off-grid systems.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    NevadaAdobe,

Regarding our forum... You will get more engagement on the forum if you post as you did here in the public forums.

Using "wall posts"--Most people do not use them here.

You can use Private Messaging if you wish to communicate with another poster directly (negotiating buy/sell, sending email address/phone number, etc.).
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NevadAdobe
    Options
    BB - I do not think I understand what I did wrong with my post. Are you saying that this not the correct place to put a post? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• BB.
    Options
    NevadAdobe,

Nothing wrong with your post here in the public forum... Originally, you "wall posted" messages to specific users:

https://forum.solar-electric.com/activity
    • Dave -
      Are you in Nevada working with the Absolyte battery systems? My wife and I were able to acquire to 2,000 Amp hour/48 volt battery banks that I am trying to restore for an off grid property we have. I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on their ability and performance. Thanks so much for your time and insight! Ron
      ·
      December 17
    • NevadAdobe
      TnAndy -
      My wife and I were able to acquire two 2,000 amp hour/48 volt Absolyte batteries for our off grid homestead in Northern Nevada. Are you able to speak about your set up? I would be very interested in hearing your experience with your power! Thank you!
      ·
      December 17
    • NevadAdobe
      System2 -
      I was able to acquire two 48 volt Absolyte battery banks a few weeks ago. I will be attempting to get them back to operating order for an off grid application for a property that my wife and I have in Northern Nevada. I need to go through the entire bank - cell by cell - to see if all or some are recoverable. Is there any specific thing that I should be looking at to get optimal performance out of these battery banks? Thank you for any assistance!
      ·
      December 17
    • NevadAdobe
      Crewzer -
      Have just checked out the posts that you and others were speaking about Absolyte GX battery systems. I acquired two 48 volt banks for an off grid project and wondered if you are still operating a battery bank with your Absolyte. Thanks for any help. I need to get both of these banks to storage level. It will be a while before I can install them on our off grid property. Thanks for any insight!!
      ·
      December 17
    • NevadAdobe
      Larry - 
      Thank you for the reply on your Absolyte battery system! I will be setting up a 48 volt Absolyte GX 2000Ah system in Northern Nevada for off grid use. I was able to retrieve to battery banks from a Telecom company that is going to lithium. I need to go over each cell and ensure I do not have bad cells within each bank. I am wondering if I can charge the banks in a 12 volt configuration and then put them in a 48 volt configuration after full charge. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Happy Holidays!
      ·
      December 17
    • NevadAdobe
      Dapdan -
      I was able to purchase two 48 volt Absolyte GX battery banks in Northern Nevada from a Telcom company that is moving to lithium Ion batteries. I will be setting up a 48 volt off grid system and I would like to know your thoughts on set up and how your system has performed for you. Thank you for any assistance! Ron
      ·
      December 17
    • NevadAdobe
      BB -
      I am new to the forum and I was looking into some of the old posts. I also was able to acquire Absolyte GX series batteries for our offgrid project and wanted to know if there were further discussions on these batteries for offgrid use. I look forward to meeting up with you if the opportunity comes up. Happy Holidays to you and your family! My wife and I are located in Reno, Nevada. 
      ·
      December 17
    You did not "break anything" doing these public wall posts... But the forum is not setup to really give a lot of visibility to these wall posts. And there is not a good method of "threading" these posts and replies. And some of the messages are to posters that have "retired" here, and may not even exist as "real users" (i.e., System2 was an old user "cleanup" name that the forum founder used a decade+ ago).

And I am not sure how many folks actually see/reply to them (and we are a relatively small forum too so public posting on the main forums will usually get you more engagement).

In general, doing what you did here with your post/thread is usually the best way to go. 

If you have questions to specific members, usually a PM (private message) works well.

Take care,
    -Bill "moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • NevadAdobe
    Options
    BB - I did recall seeing a post from you or someone else ( I think ) that regarded testing/utilizing some Absolyte 2 volt batteries (24 volt or 48 volt configuration) that I was hoping to get some feedback on. There isn't much on these type of telecom batteries. I am still researching.
  • BB.
    Options
    Regarding searches.. Besides the "search box" in the upper right corner of most pages, there is a neat way you can use DuckDuckgo, Bing, Google, etc.. search engines using the "site:" tag... This limits searches to one URL vs the "whole web":

site:forum.solar-electric.com Absolyte (as entered into a search engine)
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site:forum.solar-electric.com+Absolyte&ia=web (example URL on the Duck)

Also, you can use "+" to include or "-" to exclude search terms.

site:forum.solar-electric.com Absolyte +used

And you can use " quotes to look for (or exclude) a phrase:

site:forum.solar-electric.com Absolyte +"for sale"

Here is a website that lists all 42 of Google's supported search operators (probably more than most people need):

https://ahrefs.com/blog/google-advanced-search-operators/

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options
    In the "olden days" (decades ago), Telecom batteries were usually assumed to have 40 year life if cycled a maximum of 15% depth of discharge (i.e., from 100% to 85% State of charge). Any deep cycles and their life was seriously compromised.

The "cheap" UPS batteries would need to be replaced after a few cycles of 50% discharge. And the small computer UPS batteries--Don't last much longer than 2 years before they become "unreliable".

One good way to monitor the health of lead acid batteries is their "float charge" current... For AGM, they should be at or less than 0.1% (i.e, 0.001 * AH capacity) float current... And other deep cycle batteries should be below 1% of capacity for float current (i.e., fork lift batteries tend to have higher self discharge rates and use more distilled water).

And any Lead Acid type battery that takes more than 2% rate of float charge--Is not long for this world and can actually be a fire hazard (from overheating). (Lithium Ion batteries, in general, have very low self discharge rate and usually are not "float charged").

-Bill