Upgraded Solar, System responding unexpectedly

Hey Everyone!
I'm reaching out in regards to my Solar setup behaving not quite as expected after an upgrade was done.
Hoping to have to some like minds help me decipher where I may have made a wrong turn, or what I could do differently.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Currently I have two Solar Arrays.
The Old:
   5 - 100 watt, 12 volt, 5.72 amp Mono panels.
   60A EPEver Tracer 6415AN MPPT Charge Controller
   10 gauge solar wire.
   Wired in Parallel (attached image for connection types).

The New:
   5 - 200 watt, 12 volt, 10.75 amp Mono panels.
   100A EPEver Tracer 10415AN MPPT Charge Controller
   EPEver MT-50 Remote Meter
   10 gauge solar wire.
   Wired in Parallel (same connections types as original panels)

Battery Information:
   4 - 12v 200ah Deep Cycle Sealed Lead Acid

Inverter Information:
   1 - 4000w Giandel Heavy Duty Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC12V to AC120V

Wiring Information:
   The Panels all run on the provided 10 gauge solar wire down to their respective MPPT charge controllers. The 100A mppt charge controller runs two 2/0 gauge wires to the battery bank from the controller. The 60A runs something smaller like a 6 gauge I believe.

The Batteries are all tied with 2/0 gauge battery wire, and the last wired battery runs 2/0 gauge wires to the Giandel inverter, which runs 3 - 6 gauge wires to the 30 amp breaker, and 30 amp plug socket.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Physical Location Information:
   Located approximately at: 40.963, -74.593
   Approximate Sun Angle: 45 (degrees from horizon)

Load Test Information:
   At first I was running a lighter load on the system for a solid hour, approximately 1000 watts (dometic fridge, computer electrical, motorhome aux batt charge controller).
   The system was maintaining full batteries like this for the one hour, producing the following numbers.

New System:
   18.8 Volts
   8.4 Amps

Old System:
   Did Not record
   Did not record on start

Batt Indication:
   Start: 14.2
   End: 13

After seeing virtually no change, and lower solar input than expected I decided to increase consumption by adding another 1500 watts to the mix. I thought that by doing this the Charge Controller would open more and allow more throughput to go to the batteries.

New System:
   16 Volts
   16.1 Amps

Old System:
   18 Volts
   6.4 Amps

Final Thoughts and Concerns....
 The wires run from the solar panels down the roof of our RV (by fridge) 10ft then under vehicle approximately 9ft to the mppt charge controllers.

I really have no idea why the input is looking so low, seems like each array is only producing 1/4 of the power they are rated to produce.

Before adding the new panel configuration the old configuration had been running 400+ watts pretty easily on a full sun day.

Really seriously appreciate any and all troubleshooting, input, or other help you all may be to provide...

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image 1
    Solar-Config
    Image 2 does not exist
    Image 3
    PXL-20221202-184709360-MP
    Image 4
    PXL-20221202-154434675
    Image 5
    PXL-20221202-184723803
    Some of your problem is that your panels are mounted on a flat roof, and you have partial shading on a few panels. This will be worse this time of year as the sun will be lower in the sky.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two new panels nearest to the air conditioner are clearly being compromised due to shadowing,

Being that you have an odd number of panels in the new and old groups makes series wiring tricky but you might see increased production if you could send higher voltage into the MPPT controllers

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.