Getting All Power from Inverter

JRM
JRM Registered Users Posts: 29 ✭✭
I tried finding existing discussions on this subject but wasn't successful.  When I started my solar project, I bought an inexpensive inverter.  Now that I am finishing wiring, I discover that none of the inverter outlets, by themselves, support the total advertised output of 3500 watts.  There is a "high power" connection that is limited to 25 amps (from what appear to be #10 stranded wires).  At 120 volts, this will support only 3000 watts.  There are also two standard plug outlets.  Can I connect wires from one of the plug outlets to wires from the "high power" connections that end up providing power to an electric service box that distributes it to separate circuits?

JRM

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't make sense of your "high power" connections.

Most quality home inverters will have a hardwire feature allowing you to wire the inverter directly to your breaker panel. 

If you want to discuss your inverter, perhaps show some photos of it and give us the brand and model.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it likely that your inverter is rated for 3500 watts total across all of the circuits, but the single largest circuit is limited to 25 amps?
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • JRM
    My inexpensive inverter is a WZRELB Reliable 3500-watt unit.  There are much better pictures on websites than I can provide, but the setup is 4 batteries in series providing 48 volts DC input to the inverter which outputs 3500 continuous watts and 120 volts AC.  It has two US plug outlets and a panel of three wires (line, ground, and neutral) that, as best I can tell from the translated instructions, is limited to 25 amps, which comes to 3000 watts at 120 volts.  My clearly inexperienced question is whether I can connect/combine wires of the same polarity from the "high power" panel and one of the plug outlets to carry all of the 3500 watt inverter capacity to an electric box?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • JRM
    Bill,

Yes, it looks the same.  But the inverter I have is from 2017, so changes could have been made inside, and mine is for 48V DC input (as seen as an option on the pictured case).  The website picture labelled "Digital LED Display" shows the outlets and "high power" connection that I am asking about.  It is hard to believe that 5 years have passed since my solar endeavor began, but other things kept getting in the way.  Your past comments have been very helpful, and as I was reviewing them last night, I was amazed at how much time you and others put into helping me along.  I have learned much and will soon find out if the approach I am using works.  One way or the other, I will post about it.

JRM
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 #7
    At the risk of being repetitive, I suspect that your inverter has a single circuit limit of 25 amps, but a total of 30 amps when spread across multiple "outlets."  
    As an example, my 5,000 watt generator is 120v/240v. Using 240v, I can access the 5,000 watts on a single circuit. Using the 120v circuits, I am limited to 30 amps on a single twist lock outlet. The other 1400 watts can be used at the same time, but only from the other circuits/outlets. I would NOT suggest that you tie multiple circuits together. You will likely end up overloading the lower capacity circuits.
    YES! I will add my thanks to Bill for his tireless efforts here. Thank you, Bill!
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • JRM
    Marc

I did see your thought about multiple circuits, but don't know enough of what goes on inside of an inverter to comment on it.  I have done some "research" on wire sizes.  If the "high power" connection limitation to 25 amps is because of #10 multi-strand wire, I should be able to use it alone since the wire can safely handle up to 30 amps, and any such maximum use should be brief - such as having a motor start.  I guess it is time to open the case, which must be okay since the fuses are inside, to better check on wire sizes.  My main concern is the load created by trailer battery charging, which happens without warning, when I have something else turned on.  But I think this can be dealt with by not having larger current appliances (like a microwave and coffee maker) on at the same time.

JRM
  • JRM
    To all:

I received a response from a WZREB company representative today that what they call the "terminal block" will handle the 3500 watts produced by my inverter.  Since this corresponds to what I read about wire size current capacity, I'll go ahead and connect the "high power terminal block" as the power source to my electric box.  Thank you for the replies, and I will let you know if this works or not.  I know that there are too few panels and batteries in my present system for full time use, but I hope they will provide most of the power for intermittent use of my trailer, with generator recharging if I overstay the solar power supply.  My next, and probably last, question will probably be about automatic generator starting, which I am finding is both confusing in terms of what is needed and expensive.