Schneinder Conext Gateway vs Insight Facilty ?

GreenePoint
GreenePoint Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
I added a Conext gateway to my system about 2 years ago and now I see it has been discontinued before I've even been able to use all the functions originally advertised. Is the Insight Facility the same unit with a different name? I noticed the Firmware revision for both are the same Revision

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the same, no difference between it and Insight Facility. Dual xanbus networks and longer wifi range.

The Digital and analog switching on all of the devices has not been implemented. I would like that also to be done. I keep hearing from Engineering that I am the only one. You should tell them what you want. There is a place for that on the screen below. Good Luck

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• GreenePoint
    Thanks Dave,
    I've not used the cloud feature yet  as I don't have much need for it but will set it up to experiment. I'm mostly interested in having access to the I/O of the gateway that they advertised. I will leave them feed back once I figure out how to login to the cloud.
  • Dave Angelini
    You can always go on their website and feedback to them. For now I use the MPPT switching, if I have to. There are also ways around using any switching by making use of wifi devices.

https://solar.se.com/us/en/support/#technical-support

• GreenePoint
    With great difficulty I was able to create my site on the Insight Cloud. I live off grid in a remote area with only boat or air access so I had to fudge an address in the nearest town 40 miles away. After all the frustration I did leave some feedback on that and other issues so I hope somebody is listening.
  • Dave Angelini
    Could not have been that hard as you did it in less than a day. ;)  40 miles is close Offgrid  ;);)

Schneider has made great strides in the last 2 years to bring Tech Support up to world class. It was pretty bad before and you had to really get involved back then. Kind of like Health Care these days. They also are doing a great job with training for people like me in the business. Super great job there!

Keep in mind that you should only use the feedback on Insight Cloud for issues with that platform, like the switching.

The hardware like XWP, CSW, and other devices should go to

https://solar.se.com/us/en/support/#technical-support

• DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    It is the same, no difference between it and Insight Facility. Dual xanbus networks and longer wifi range.

The Digital and analog switching on all of the devices has not been implemented. I would like that also to be done. I keep hearing from Engineering that I am the only one. You should tell them what you want.......
    Dave .. I agree , they should make those ports available to us with a configurable signalling control menu for example. I saw an ESS vendor using the Insight Facility in their systems with the XW Pro (don't remember the vendor), I am sure they could be using this signalling capability. 

Interestingly enough the InsightHome has digital OUT and the Facility does not??

• Dave Angelini
    Never noticed that. I will mention that next meeting. I am not a programmer but could the same outcome be programmed on the 26 pin connector? Like the note under the the 26 pinout in your screenshot above as none of this is supported yet.

The WIFI is the way to go for this with all of the smart devices out there. Like controlling a mini split to shut down with clouds lowering DC output from an array.

• Riley
    Riley Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited January 2023 #9
    I do like the Insight cloud solution.
    I feel like they did a slick job on it and I hope they continue to improve it. It's a significant cost for them to develop, operate and support. Having that solution from my laptop and phone are what keeps wanting to use them for my next charge controller. 

I've never needed to use the GPIO and relays but I can see how that would good. Dave has a good point about using consumer WiFi solutions. Just watch the company you use, some of these guys are shutting down their businesses and gone tomorrow along with your cloud support. The plugs and switches can become bricked.  
    Off-grid: XW+6048 / 48V FLA battery bank (428 A/H (Rolls S-550 batteries)) / Conext MPPT 60 150 charge controller / SCP / Insight gateway / 12 - 260W solar panels / Kohler 12KW 12-RES propane genset
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    edited January 2023 #10

The Digital and analog switching on all of the devices has not been implemented. I would like that also to be done. I keep hearing from Engineering that I am the only one. You should tell them what you want.......

Dave .. I agree , they should make those ports available to us with a configurable signalling control menu for example. I saw an ESS vendor using the Insight Facility in their systems with the XW Pro (don't remember the vendor), I am sure they could be using this signalling capability. 

The vendor is Sunpower : Here is a video that shows the XW Pro and Insight Facility as core parts of their ESS : 

https://youtu.be/5_pq-wl4wnY
  • Dave Angelini
    I know Schneider provides the code to Battery makers to close loop charge/discharge via Insight. The switching may be possible for code writers. Have you looked at the docs? I am assuming your a canbus/modbus guy?

It just is not there for the general users yet. Next meeting I will ask. It is slow now after the Holiday vacations. Probably end of January.

I was recently involved in a similar project with Schneider to do what Sunpower did in the video. I was glad Schneider did not go down that road or delayed and went on the back burner. It was like the Powerwall where installation is done by Tesla and Independents like me for rural where Tesla does not send their trucks/people. A big can of worms that Tesla has done really well at. Tesla supports both and that is hard to do.

• conz
    conz Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Hi Dave,
    Sorry, I am new to commenting on forums.  I will do more research and comment on a forum in the future.
    My apologies.