AGS problem

Options
Coyyote
Coyyote Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭
Cannot get my generator to charge batteries on Auto setting of Mate3s. In testing I turn off AC grid input and when SOC reaches the set point the generator starts in warmup. Runs with no charging in warmup till fault time is reached at which time it shuts down. 

Event log reads “Active Fault “  Gen stopped

if I use manual mode and press bulk charge button hot key the generator starts and charges the batteries

on Optics AGS
AGS. Enabled
port.   0
gen mode.  Auto
cool down time 1 min
wsrmup time   1 min
fault time.  6 min

system is Radian GS8048
                CC FM100-300 AFCI
                 Flexnet DC
                 Fortress lithium

Thanks for any help. I think I am close but am missing some critical setting that escapes me

Comments

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022 #2
    Options
    That sure rings a bell with me. I'm sure I've been through it before. While I'm trying to recall the event and solution could you tell me that generator is being used? Was the AGS factory installed on the genset or was it an add on? Has the AGS worked previously and now it is acting up?

Just a thought as you are using port 0 for AGS. The Mate3s Programming Manual, page 26, AGS Set-up, Port "- — designates a port on a HUB communications manager. This port becomes the recipient of AGS commands.
    Ž Select a specific inverter or other device for generator control. Set Port to the HUB port number (1 through 10) for that device.
    Ž If only one device is present and the HUB communications manager is not used, the Port for that device is designated zero (0).

You must have a Hub (since you also have the CC and FNDC) and the inverter is plugged into Port 1 (and it should be) and you are using the inverter to control AGS (recommended) then you should be using Port 1. I have used the CC on Port 2 a long time ago and it sometimes had some strange behavior so I went with me inverter on Port 1 and operation was consistent from there on. So verify your port setting for the device's Aux terminal being used for AGS.

Best, Jim
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Coyyote
    Options
    Thanks for the help Jim. Will set Port 1 and run some tests 

• Coyyote
    Options
    Well on Port 1 the Mate3s calls for an AGS run when the set SOC is reached. However the Gen does not charge batteries and after a few minutes declares an Active Fault followed by AGS failure and evolution ends. 

So I am going to have to look elsewhere for the problem. I can charge batteries by manually starting the generator using the Gen hot key
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are you sensing Soc? The flexnet or fortress?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• JRHill
    Options
    A few thoughts:
    - SOC drifts. I only use it as a visual reference point, never for logic in programming. For AGS I only ever used voltages and time.
    - Speaking of SOC drift, the FNDC was designed for lead batteries. I would never rely on SOC programming controls for the AGS with lithium batteries using the FNDC. If you insist on using SOC for AGS you should consider using a Victron which has an adjustment for Puerkets that is needed for lithium batteries. Even then, I would still recommend voltage not SOC.
    - If your programming calls for AGS when it should shut down the run the logic is reversed. The FNDC's AUX port is the only one that you can reverse the logic. I don't know what genset you are using but in my set up the genset autostart leads are closed to run, open to shut down. Since the Inv and CC output 12vdc when conditions are met I had to add a small automotive relay to trigger the AGS. If necessary its really easy to just change the NO to NC taps to reverse the logic. As mentioned, the Inverter has been the most reliable device for AUX control, like the genset.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • Coyyote
    Options
    Not sure how the Mate3s senses SOC. In Mate program you can select voltage, SOC or load to trigger AGS .  My Gen is a 12 kW Wilco

Guess for my next trial I can use voltage and not SOC to see if I get a successful evolution. 

Thanks for the input
  • Coyyote
    Options
    JR. Will have my electrician go over your comments as it’s a bit technical for me, although I am trying to learn. Thanks
  • JRHill
    Options
    Coyyote said:
    Not sure how the Mate3s senses SOC.
    The Mate3s doesn't sense. It uses the input from the FNDC. But it is only as accurate as the FNDC that gives it information.

Coyyote said:
    JR. Will have my electrician go over your comments as it’s a bit technical for me, although I am trying to learn. Thanks
    Ohhh, noo.. I'm sorry. This explains a lot. You should go with what is easiest and most convenient for you.