Inverter fan noise

Options
hillside
hillside Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭
I just read some posts from years ago here about inverter fan noise and they were helpful, somewhat. 
Since I recently installed a Samlex 3000W inverter just outside the kitchen door everything has been working well. It powers the refrigerator 24/7 and the oven when needed. 

Anyways, the Samlex inverter internal fan runs a lot and I'm so glad I installed it and the controller outside and not inside but the fan noise is hard to get used to.  It's in a covered deck area shaded all the time and has a mild breeze going through most of the time, but we hear the fan in the bedroom and kitchen and it's near constant. I hope in the cooler winter months it will get better but I don't know about that.
I'm thinking nothing can be done about it short of throwing a pile of cash at it but is there such an inverter at that wattage that does not have internal fans? 
Our ambient temps prolly have something to do with it. Summertime averages 68 -70F overnight lows to upper 80's daytime...
thanks to all of you that have helped in the past!
8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
5 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
4- 450 Watt panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ 2-Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controllers/ Xantrex 1800W PSW Inverter.
Honda EU3000W generator for backup.

Comments

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 #2
    Options
    Is the inverter frame physically attached to the house in any way? It doesn't take much for the sound to resonate into the house if so.... 

Fans are definitely not created equal even on identical items. Some are just plain noisy out of the box.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • hillside
    Options
    Yes it's attached to the outside wall but the house is cinder block and concrete....it's got some large windows for the sound to travel through though. 
    I think living or staying on a boat down in the cabin would take some getting used to...we're getting accustomed to it but if there is such an inverter out there I'd like to check into it.
    8- 235Watt panels, 2 strings in series/parallel, 4L16 Deka 6Volt, 370AH FLA. batteries, 3000W Cotek pure sine inverter, SRNE ML2440 40Amp Controller &  40 Amp Renogy controller, 24 Volt system.
    5 stand alone PV arrays; 12V gate opener, 24V Dankoff rain water pumping system, 12V Shurflo rain water garden pumping, 12V bathroom LED lighting and fan.
    4- 450 Watt panels with 4 L16 6 volt batts./ 2-Renogy Tracer 40 Amp controllers/ Xantrex 1800W PSW Inverter.
  • JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I understand. Our inverter and controller are in the crawl space and on a frame mounted to concrete. We hear the fans cycling. But actually the fridge and freezers are worse even sitting on 5/8" rubber pads in their corners.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.
  • NANOcontrol
    NANOcontrol Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have several inverters I have pulled the fans from just to save current. These are dedicated to devices and operate at reduced power anyway.  I always space inverters and charge controllers 1 1/2 inches off any mounting to get full airflow underneath. Some fans can reduce noise just by dropping the voltage on them a couple volts. A string of diodes can be used with each one about 0.7V drop. Often manufacturers restrict airflow with stamped grills and placing the fan inside the cabinet where space is tight. I've placed several fans on the outside and cut grills out to increase airflow. As you probably guessed I don't care about manufacturers warranties as I fix everything. It is just many things are designed with poor airflow and screaming fans are required.  Like you, I hear everything at night. These poor designs are required to make an item cheaper by putting it in the smallest box possible.
  • hillside
    Options
    By removing the fans are you concerned about heat build-up? 
    The Samlex manual says when the internal power transformer reaches 130F the fan starts and shuts off at approx. 115F. (Also talks about warranty....and that the unit will shut down due to overtemperature.)
    This is a tropical environment similar to Miami, Fl. so it hot in summer   B)
    It's all a crapshoot!
  • Gin83
    Gin83 Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3
    Options
    If the inverter is no longer under warranty, you can try replacing the fan with a quieter one with at least the same performance. From the nudity of the manufacturer of the inverter not to strain to put good fans.
    Good fans are branded fans such as Noctua.