micro inverters input DC voltage

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
I saw the Enphase micros on their site and it says input voltage is 60 vdc. If you wanted to do a 10 panel 2500kw
system and output 240 AC.  .how would you do the input? 60 vdc is not much ..can an mppt controller like the Midnite Solar 
make that input work somehow?? And if you want say 2500 watts AC out ,you just join the outputs together, yes/no?
This is no batteries and no grid tie....

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you are confused. Micro inverters are used on the back of 1 (or a pair) of panels and creates AC electric. They would NOT be used with a MPPT charge controller, which is designed to output DC electric to charge batteries.

Grid tied and off grid battery-based systems are 2 different types. There are central inverter grid tied systems and hybrid battery-based systems that also back feed the grid. Perhaps it's not clear to me which type of system yoou are discussing?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    I am talking about outputting 240 AC direct from the micro inverter into an AC service panel....to plug an EV level 2 charger into...directly.
    No batteries, no grid tie.I was mis thinking about the controller. But my idea would be okay,yes?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ws9876 said:
    I am talking about outputting 240 AC direct from the micro inverter into an AC service panel....to plug an EV level 2 charger into...directly.
    No batteries, no grid tie.I was mis thinking about the controller. But my idea would be okay,yes?
    NO! Micro inverters do NOT work without a reference voltage like the grid. If it doesn't sense voltage it won't output anything.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That use to be true and there were some clunky workarounds to make it work. The IQ series from Enphase can run in an outage. 
    You do need to have the controllers and their battery.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net