Suggestions for a relatively small grid tied system?

Surfpath
Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
I normally lurk on the off-grid chat, but I'm interested in building a grid-tied system on another property. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Here's the background:
  • I have 3 spare 'grid-tied type' 30v 250w panels that I'd like to use-see specs below.  But ideally I may end up mounting about 10 total of these similar panels (that's the max space for the south facing roof).
  • I do not get cold temps (they average 73F to 90F)
  • The distance from where I'd mount the (south facing) panels to the (unfortunately north facing) "solar room" is a wire run of about 65'
  • Obviously my utility will want some sort of disconnect system.
  • I just want something that will sit there and work quietly, sending back power to the grid. 
  • I do not want a hybrid system in this location.
1. If I stick with the 750W small system is there a neat small GT inverter that you'd recommend?
2. If I went for the full 10 panels, what else do you suggest?  I currently use a combiner box/panels in series off-grid system, however for this larger system (and the longish wire run, I'd probably want a high-voltage, "one big series" panel wire run - not so?)

Thanks again!

SONALI 250 Watts 
VMP: 31.32
IMP: 7.98
VOC: 37.2
ISC: 8.45

Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1, Panel mounted Micro Inverters. Hardly worth the trouble having to comply with the POCO's regulations.
    2, String inverter running at high voltage. Best for running high voltage dc power a long distance.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surfpath said:
    I have 3 spare 'grid-tied type' 30v 250w panels that I'd like to use-see specs below.  But ideally I may end up mounting 
    Not sure central inverters will 'boost' voltage...
    Likely better off with micro inverters. 

"Growing" home grid tied systems will likely be difficult, Likely better to get a permit for your anticipated max, Still need Power companies' inspection as you add to the system...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Surfpath
    I also just read this :smile:
    "String inverters are warrantied to last between 8 and 12 years, whereas microinverters have a 25-year warranty". 

https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/pros-and-cons-of-string-inverter-vs-microinverter

Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Surfpath
    And the same web page also said:

Rapid shutdown capability 

New electrical codes require rapid solar system shutdown so first responders or firefighters are safe from high voltage when they need to be on rooftops or servicing power lines. Microinverters comply with these rapid shutdown requirements and have this capability embedded into each module. 

But I would image my utility will be uber conservative and also want to see some other "box" that has automatic shutdown capabilities. 

• Surfpath
    I’m thinking about going the micro inverter route now. There are several multi panel micro inverters that seem to fit the bill for what I’m interested in. Either a two panel or four panel configuration. Here is a an example (this one is 4 panel): 
    https://usa.apsystems.com/qs1/

System longevity will hopefully be the same as with other microinverters