Schneider Conext XW Pro 6.8 KW 48VDC with Insight - low output?

Options
BernieM
BernieM Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
Schneider system with insight home. Tremendous amount of settings that could easily be wrong?? Anyway, just curious why on beautiful really bright sunny day with panels cleaned the maximum i am getting is 2.6KW on a 6.6 Kw system?
I have 20 panels at 315W coming into the Schneider Inverter and Charger. I've read the panels can easily put out only 20% efficiency so I am ahead at 30+%
Just want to understand if that is it, or do I have a wrong setting on my Insight Software. I did a Firmware upgrade month ago? - no change. Washed the panels, no change - still about 2.6 kw showing. I am selling to grid and supplying my house.
Thanks, Bernie
NE Texas - Mounted on South Facing Separate Garage Roof - Schneider XW Pro 6.8 KW 48VDC, Schneider MPPT Charger 100A 600V, 21 - Solarever 315W, 8 - Rolls Deep Cycle Batteries S-550 6V-445AH. Installed October 2021
Bernie
Tagged:

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should list all of the equipment !!!  Solar panels do not go into the XWP inv/chg.  They need to go into a charge controller or a grid inverter!     I know you probably misstated this but one never knows here, right?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BernieM
    Options
    Schneider Connect MPPT Charger - 100 A 600V. I had indicated it was a Schneider Inverter and Charger - guess I should have said and "a" controller. Based on what I am trying to understand, I thought the Inverter was the main device for Solar Input controlling and the settings within my Insight Home. I am just trying to understand if 2.6 kw is normal maximum input for a 6.6 kw system. The panels are facing directly south with no trees blocking them - up on a stand alone garage.
    NE Texas - Mounted on South Facing Separate Garage Roof - Schneider XW Pro 6.8 KW 48VDC, Schneider MPPT Charger 100A 600V, 21 - Solarever 315W, 8 - Rolls Deep Cycle Batteries S-550 6V-445AH. Installed October 2021
    Bernie
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 #4
    Options
    Solar only produces power when there is a load, and in a XW system, you have to have your float ( sell ) voltage set correctly to sell to the grid.

Likely, your batteries are full, but your sell values are not tweaked for selling all available energy?

It maybe also an issue on how the panels are wired, 2.6kw is suspiciously close to half your array, so you should test each of the sting's one at a time ( assuming you have two strings in parallel ) feeding the Charge Controller and finally, to get the maximum rated power in the charge controller, the input voltage has to be above 220V 

https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/Conext-MPPT-80-100-Ops-Guide.pdf ( page 66 )
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    If you can get an AC+DC Current Clamp DMM--You can measure the current of your two 10 panel strings. Their current should match pretty closely (assuming that the are on the same "plane" and no shading issues with one or the other strings).

A couple of AC+DC current clamp meters (I love clamp meters--Very quick and safe to measure current in a wire. Note in DC mode, the meter needs to be "zeroed" as they can drift over time):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1Q2HOQ (cheap but "good enough" for our needs clamp meter)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CY4FB4 (mid priced clamp meter)

Note: For measuring DC current (solar array, DC battery bus, etc.), you need a "DC" capable meter. The AC only clamp meters are great--But only work for measuring AC current in the wiring. The AC+DC clamp meter can measure either.

And as Solar Guppy says--The charge controller will only supply the amount of current the battery bank needs. If the battery is >80% (roughly) state of charge, the solar charge controller will reach the "charging set point" voltage and the battery bank will start to reduce the charging current.

The above is "roughly true" for Lead Acid batteries. For LiFePO4 batteries, they accept pretty high charging current (rate) until almost full.

If you can give us the charging voltage, type of battery bank, Amp*Hour capacity and such (reported state of charge, any usage information you can give us)--Can make some more educated guesses here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BernieM
    Options
    Thank you guys - excellent help. I went out to use my clamp meter and it won't!! Typical - Murphy always awake. Anyway, forgot, I can supply pictures of the charger and Inverter main pages. I have 8 of the Rolls Deep Cycle Battery S-550 6V-445AH. If either of you are familiar with the Insight Home software, I can supply pics of that set up also. 
    Appreciate this! Hope this helps
    Bernie
    Bernie
  • BernieM
    Options
    On the insight home software system, I can do a Zoom meeting and share my screen to show you all the settings on the Insight system also, if that will help.
    Again, thanks for this!
    Bernie
    Bernie
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is NOT my end of the pool, but I see a couple things.

By the solar incoming voltage of 331.5 volts, and a 6.6 kW array, I will assume you have 2 parallel strings of panels? Perhaps something like 20 - 350 watt panels in 2 strings of 10? They could be combined in the wiring with no junction box required, might even be on your roof or at the array wherever that is...

It might well be that you have a string down for some reason. A Clamp meter would be the quick way to discover this...
    Sounds like your clamp meter is down? Did you only clamp the positive or negative? Clamping both negates the input info.

I circled the battery temp in red, that is very hot and will reduce the live of your battery. Is it in an outdoor shed? Might consider a berm shelter for them.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BernieM
    Options
    Thanks for this... everything is in my stand alone garage - but it is incredibly hot in Texas right now...100 degrees outside.... garage easily 20 or 30 more degrees inside.... have exhaust fans but guess I better open the doors during the day!! I'll try fresh batteries in my clamp meter in the meantime.... thanks!
    Bernie
  • BernieM
    Options
    I have 2 separate strings of 10 panels each coming into garage to 2 disconnect switches. Both have indicator lights showing powered up? Can't tell in pic, but both lightening resistors are showing blue (powered up). I'll go into charger and look at voltages there... my clamp device is AC only :(    Sorry!
    Bernie
  • BernieM
    Options
    OK, you're right... one string is showing exactly 320 to 321.... the other string is bouncing all over... in the 200 area, but something tain't right!! Thanks for this... I'll go up in the early morning (metal roof!!) tomorrow and check each connection.....
    Thanks for this :)
    Bernie
    Bernie
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 #12
    Options
    BernieM said:
    OK, you're right... one string is showing exactly 320 to 321.... the other string is bouncing all over... in the 200 area, but something tain't right!! Thanks for this... I'll go up in the early morning (metal roof!!) tomorrow and check each connection.....
    Cool!
    Hope it's something simple and obvious, bad connection, look at the back of the panels and even the top of the panels where the junction box is looking for discoloration from heat!

If you know the make/manufacturer of the panels, might look for recalls or others having difficulties. I think Qcell had some issue a while back.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BernieM
    Options
    Thanks, great ideas.... I had to make some connectors so odds are pretty good those are the issues... but I'll look everything over :)the panels are: Solarever USA 315W, Mon, 60 Cells. Can't find anything bad about them? Bought a year ago this month.... But, I will look everything over, as you suggested.
    Bernie
  • BB.
    Options
    Since you have two disconnects... You can in the morning (when battery bank needs charging and/or plug in some space heaters to load down your inverter during the test--Trying to get maximum current from your charge controllers):
    • Read array voltage and current with both A and B on
    • Read array voltage and current with A on and B off
    • Turn B back on (V and I should be back to first measurement)
    • Read array voltage and current with A off and B on
    • Turn A back on (V and I should be back to first measurement)
    My only suggestion is don't turn both A and B off together... It should not hurt anything, but your charge controller may take a while to get back to steady state.

Ideally, both A and B should each be carrying 1/2 the current/power. Alternative to DC current clamp meter.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BernieM
    Options
    OK, did a screenshot of all, A off and then B off. I loaded the pics in that order.... I don't see a major difference between either off? I checked all the connectors this morning, while still not incredibly hot and all good? Some were not 100% seated? But pulled apart each one, verified + and - connections and still all the same? 2.6 maximum input from panels.... It is using all of the 2.6 fine. 2.6 in; battery getting 0.8; inverter getting 1.7 with 0.4 to house and 1.4 sell to grid
    Bernie
  • BB.
    Options
    I do see one string around 336.1 Volts Vmp and the second string around 288.8 Volts Vmp... That is > 10% difference. I wonder if you have a single panel with a shorted output (sorted internal diode) or other failed internal connection. If both arrays are in clear sun & facing the same plane to the sun--They should be closer than that in Vmp (guessing).

-Bill
  • BernieM
    Options
    Hi Bill, the first chart is with both disconnect switches A & B connected. Then, the next 2 charts are with one of the disconnects opened. Is this what you mean or something else?
    Bernie
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Looks like each string is similar but both together are higher MPV?  Make sure the charger is set for 100% and not limiting output. Make sure the auto tracking of the charger is enabled.

• BernieM
    Options
    Hi Dave, This is were it gets confusing for me.... The Schneider system has that Insight Home Software so you can see and set probably a 1000 different settings!!! Seriously....
    I kinda think I need someone who is familiar with the insight home software system to go thru my settings and verify what I have them set at. I had a tech from Schneider help me, but I am still coming back to that same question?  Why am I maxed out at 2.6 KW on a very sunny day.
    I'm going to go up on the roof in the am (cooler) and verify wiring from each panel is looped correctly. Once I can determine which loop is the 320 setting, I know to go to the other loop since that is always very fluctuating in the 200 VDC range. I am hoping that is the issue!?!?
    We shall see....
    Thanks for your help..
    Bernie
    Bernie
  • BernieM
    edited July 2022 #20
    Options
    Determined which string is good, which is not good. The "B" one is the fluctuating voltages. I reverified all connections this am as well as the flow of each panel to be sure all going + to -.... no + to +, etc.   All is correct!!??!?!? BTW, ordered a DC Clamp Voltmeter :)
    Soooo, still at 2.6 Max!! with no obvious solution?!?!?
    Bernie
    Bernie
  • BB.
    Options
    Sorry--My mistake. I missed the A+B, A, and B combinations....

-Bill
  • BernieM
    Options
    LOL, no worries.... Figured that was the case....
    Bernie
    Bernie
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I Field beta tested Insight for Schneider!

You are going to have to learn it by reading, just going thru the screens, or watching youtube. The old SCP was easier but.....

You definitely need to check that the charger is set at 100% ! Go into the device screen under configuration. Not saying this is the issue but it needs to be eliminated because this would limit current and the mppt will raise the mpv to limit current. 288vdc sounds like the correct MPV and 336vdc is the controller limiting current.

Good Luck !

• BernieM
    Options
    Hi Dave,
    I rechecked all my strings and voltages coming from them to the Charger... all are correct. Sooo, unless I am totally messed up, should I assume it is in my Insight settings?
    I tried to find what you are mentioning in the Insight system to no avail.... Would you be interested/willing to look at my settings? I could set up a Zoom meeting and do a screen share so I can learn as we go thru the settings. I looked on YouTube (again) and can't find anywhere that actually goes thru the setups of the software! They all show you the wonderful graphs and all that stuff - but no where on how to actually set up your system....
    Anyway, just let me know if willing.... I am away tomorrow - Tuesday - but around the rest of the week.
    Thanks!
    Bernie
    Bernie
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    Bernie, you can contact me at my email below. i do bill for this and I am fairly booked thru August. 

• BernieM
    Options
    Hi Bill and Dave - handy clamp volt meter showed up - both strings in the 350 Volt range so in theory, it's an Insight Home setup issue I have wrong. Dave, I sent you an email about getting help - thanks. Bill, thanks for the meter suggestion - worked great. I'll keep you posted!
    Bernie