Chinese Inverters

Options
Hello,
We are desperate. We have purchased Chinese brand inverters. The inverters stop sending all current every day for only a minute or two. I suspect this is due to a self diagnosis, or maybe not! Because we are off grid all appliances and other devices that are operating at that time are forced to power off. We have one damaged power supply so far and in need a quick solution. Any suggestions on how to bypass this or teach the inverters not do power off daily? Urgent help needed. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are desperate. We have purchased Chinese brand inverters. 
    Might list the actual brand, never heard of "Chinese" as a brand. Check with whoever sold you the inverter for support. Some will have better support that others. I understand Midnite sells a made in asia inverter/charger/ MPPT inverter now, I suspect their support is very good.

If it's just something you bought off eBay, you could put critical load on an uninterrupted power supply, UPS like below;

The 3 Best Uninterruptible Power Supplies UPS 2022  Reviews by Wirecutter
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Billwithproblems
    Billwithproblems Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello Photowit.  The inverters are Amensolar. They are copies of Megarevo. I suspect the operational menu is the same but I am unable to locate a user manual for either brand. Yes I have reached out to the manufacturer as these were bought directly from the factory. Because the Amensolar owners manual does not correspond with digital menu I am lost. The sales team have proven to be restrictive with their information and not offering help with the settings.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have never heard of an inverter turning off on a whim for 2 minutes each  day . 
    I suspect a fault .
    Is it the same time? . Is it overload turn off ?
    Maybe when your water pump kicks in .?
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • Billwithproblems
    Billwithproblems Registered Users Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Peter, the time of day moves slightly everyday, around 5:15 -5:20am, meaning it is not on a digital schedule. Someone in a different forum indicated it may be a charge controller voltage overload when the sun's rays crests the nearby building and hit the panels all at the same time. I will be monitoring this as it seams to be the only logical explanation. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    That is certainly possible... Many (older designs?) inverters have fairly low High Voltage battery cutoff voltages (15.0 volts is common, or 30/60 volts for 24 and 48 volt systems). In reality, an inverter should really be OK with upwards of 16.5 to 17.0+ volts.

Our friends in the great white north have issues with very cold (lead acid battery banks) needing more than 15 volts during charging or EQ (equalize) charging. They have to turn off their inverters during very cold/EQ charging.

Usually there is a beeper or LED error status--They should not just go "quiet" during these over voltage events.

Have you had a chance to measure the battery bus voltage around this time? Perhaps the charge controller is letting the battery bus voltage go over 15 volts for a few seconds to a few minutes--Especially if the battery bank is nearly full charged, or an older bank that has sulfated.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 #7
    Options
    I suspect this is your own post on another forum, but it is a known issue with the megarevo inverters

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/chinese-inverter.43024/#post-543448

Personally, I don't see the value in these chinese inverters, they aren't listed and will never be allowed in NEC2020 locations