ISO Source of Used Solar Panels in Western CT?

Options
Basspig
Basspig Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭
I need more panels. But I cannot afford shipping from AZ to CT. 

People say there are panels being scrapped all the time, due to upgrades, etc. But where do I find these panels?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Perhaps look on Craig's List?  Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Facebook marketplace has been the local 'goto' spot in the midwest, expect a lot of hunting though! You can setup search notifications.

I picked up these 6 as extras from a small commercial/community install, they were extras incase of problems. only 2 had any issues, a slightly bent frame and a small tear in the backing which I've repaired with liquid electrical tape.

Might check installers, some buy large case lots and may have 'orphaned' panels that they no longer can do a complete job, but more than they need for any issues.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Basspig
    Options
    I looked on FB Marketplace, but when I find something I learn it's in Houston, TX not CT. Seems like all of the solar panels come from AZ and TX, even used ones. Have not gotten lucky with finding "orphan" panels in CT. Nothing on CL either. Unless you mean the Harbor Freight 100W panels. I'm looking for 400W or larger.
  • Photowhit
    edited July 2022 #5
    Options
    I wouldn't have high hopes on 400+ watt panels, not a lot made and they would be used for new installs. Thos panels on my roof are from 3-4 years ago. Found on FaceBook MarketPlace about 80 miles away. 310-330 watt pretty good for that time, I think 20 or 25 cents a watt... and a 70 mile drive when gas was cheap.

There are certainly more solar farms where there is more solar than CT. Did you setup search notifications? Expand your search range for your area maybe 100-120 miles?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    Did a quick search 100 miles around Hartford;

This guy has some 370 and 400 in Randolph, MA, he has a poor seller rating, but is advertising several solar panels;
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5149199208498041/

These aren't your high wattage, or likely as efficent, but bet you could pick them up for 25 cents a watt if you bought them all... Look at your space, you can find the size of them on line.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2294983037321387

• Basspig
    Options
    Nothing in western CT is the problem. I have an old truck, wouldn't drive it much above 40 and never on the highway. I can maybe go 30 miles, but I'm worried about it breaking down far from home and the headaches that would incur.