Equalization

Greetings:

Is it absolutely necessary to equalize batteries?
If the answer is yes, How often? For how long?
Should I remove the battery caps during equalization?

My system: Six kyoceras 130, four Exide 6 volts, 210 amp., mx60, Exceltech 1100.
Batteries were installed five or six months ago.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Equalization
    Amilkar wrote: »
    Is it absolutely necessary to equalize batteries?
    If the answer is yes, How often? For how long?
    Should I remove the battery caps during equalization?

Flooded cell only, YES
    at least monthly
    2 hours.
    leave caps on. There will be LOTs of gassing/bubbling, and the caps vent the gas, and retain the acid droplets. ( Unless you have the catalyst caps, which warn you to remove at EQ time)

Most 3 or 4 stage chargers have a 30 day counter in them, and run an EQ cycle automatically

Be sure you have enough water to cover the tops of the plates. (but don't completely top off, as they equalize, they warm up, and water expands as it warms.)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

MIKE90045:

I forgot a VERY IMPORTANT question:

Should I disconnect my inverter (and obviously shut down the system) during equalization?
    Or will the system go on working as usual?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

it may be better to shut down the inverter or at least have a very small draw on it to prevent the eq charge from being lowered in its voltage. this loading does draw down on voltages and could prevent a proper eq charge from taking place. it may be more worthwhile shutting it down as these voltages tend to be on the high side and if temp compensation is used when batteries are cold it could approach parts values limits in the inverter and even other equipment that is connected directly from the battery at the time.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Niel makes a good point about making sure your PV array and controller can supply enough current to both EQ the batteries and run the inverter and its loads. However, there's no need to disconnect or turn off the inverter to protect it from the high EQ voltage. The 12 V Exeltech inverter can handle an input voltage of up to 16.5 VDC +/- 3%. See Specs. Other 12 VDC loads (i.e., halogen lamps) might be sensitive to high DC voltage and may have to be disconnected during the EQ stage.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer