Excess production

Options
Ako
Ako Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭
This is more of a general interest question , if a solar system produced 4 kw daily and the consumption is only 3 kw then what happens to the extra produced . I know some is used on Equipment , Charge Controllers , Inverters Etc and some natural loss from the batteries but i dont think that would account for 25% in my case a KW each day , the batteries are AGM and new , the equipment is Victron and also new , all the settings and operation of the Charge Controller is correct and as i would expect , im taking these figures from Victrons VRM Historical Data which shows the daily production and Consumption .
2240 Watt Array  4 x 460 Watt Mono Panels + 2 x 200 Watt Panels
Victron Smart 150-70 MPPT Charge Controller
24 volt Battery Bank 4 x 6v 400 Amp/Hr Trojan L16 AGM
LiFePO4 Lithium 100 Amp/Hr Battery for Backup
Victron 1600w Multiplus Compact Inverter/Charger
DC to DC Charger ( Non Isolated )

Comments

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is simply unused.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Ako
    Ako Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Options
    Then am i right in thinking that the most that can be produced the following day couldn't be more than the amount consumed the previous day plus natural battery loss and the loss through equipment efficiency 
    2240 Watt Array  4 x 460 Watt Mono Panels + 2 x 200 Watt Panels
    Victron Smart 150-70 MPPT Charge Controller
    24 volt Battery Bank 4 x 6v 400 Amp/Hr Trojan L16 AGM
    LiFePO4 Lithium 100 Amp/Hr Battery for Backup
    Victron 1600w Multiplus Compact Inverter/Charger
    DC to DC Charger ( Non Isolated )
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And the energy you use that day of course! This time of year it is hard to use it all offgrid if you are sized for winter!
     It is the cost of sizing and reducing genset time offgrid. Some of the good locations for sun do not need a generator ☺
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net