Under Panel Wiring, and Down the House Conduit Concerns

I have an 11.8 kW system that is finally getting turned on tomorrow, but I have some concerns with the wiring on the roof under the panels.

Photos, including the roof section of conduit.

Essentially it seems like the wires for the power optimizers were loosely zip tied in loops, with them hanging down onto the roof in some spots. I have emailed the installer requesting they come out to tighten these up.

There are 33 350w Seraphim S3 panels, connected to SolarEdge power optimizers, if that makes a difference.

I posted this to reddit and was told that the conduit coming own the house from the roof is not up to code. The conduit is PVC, specifically Cantex Schedule 40, non-metallic PVC. On reddit I was told this does not comply with the 2020 revision of NEC 690.31(D). That conduit should be metal, since it carries all of the power from the panels down, so it should be protected better. I drove around to look at 3 other nearby solar installs, and all had metal conduit in that section.

Here is the rest of the install if anyone is curious, including the roof to inverter section of conduit that might not be to code.

Is there anything else I should look closer at? Are the commenters correct that this is not up to code? I am losing confidence in the install now that I have two issues that should have been complied with from the start.

The odd part is this has been inspected by the city twice, and the fire marshall once, passing inspection every time.

Comments

• Mike134
    Mike134 Registered Users Posts: 3
    I see we frequent the same forums.  You have lax inspectors they should have insisted the wiring be properly supported under the solar modules. 
  • Wheelman55
    Wheelman55 Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    Check to see if the zip ties are plastic or coated stainless steel. Plastic zip ties will fail from uv over time.   SS zip ties should last indefinitely. 
    Off-Grid in Terlingua, TX
    5,000 watt array - 14 CS 370 watt modules. HZLA horizontal tracker. Schneider: XW6048NA+, Mini PDP, MPPT 80-600, SCP. 390ah LiFeP04 battery bank - 3 Discover AES 42-48-6650 48 volt 130ah LiFePO4 batteries