Midnite E-panel or Seperates?

Saggys
Saggys Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
Will be assembling our 48 volt system shortly consisting of a Exeltech XP 1100 inverter that I installed the low idle option in and a Midnite Classic SL 200 CC. I am considering the Midnite 125 E-panel lite or going with separates like the MN125DC and a automatic transfer switch like the Powermax that the host sells. Is it allowable to install the inverter on the MN125DC panel? I am leaning towards separates for the sake of the ATS. I have always had a built in ATS and battery charging in our current system so the individual equipment is a little different configuration that what I am used to. I like the E-panel but the manual transfer switch seems like more trips to the power shed. What are others using with a inverter with no built in ATS or battery charger?

Comments

• Saggys
    No inverter mounting on the MNDC :/
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saggys said:
    No inverter mounting on the MNDC :/
    The large breaker bought with the MN125DC panel is for a inverter. There is nothing requiring you to mount the inverter to an E-Panel.

In fact they make E-Panel without mounts for inverters as well as flat faces for those that are designed for inverters. I have an E-Panel designed for the 4024 inverter I have now, but built the power center without enough depth to mount it. I'm still using the tinies E-Panel with just a single Din rail AC breaker(no transfer switch as I don't use a generator).  Pictured is the original setup of smallest of the E-Panels with DC only breakers;

Sorry I thought I had a closeup without the wire routing, here's with wire routing, Thas my old ProSine 1800, still mounted in the same place to be uused as backup Magnum 4024 mounted with just a small move of the switch;

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Saggys
    I like the idea of keeping the footprint small with the all in one E-panel that lets you mount the inverter on the door. Probably going to take the route you did and go with the DC only panel and use another MS box for the AC connections and mount them on a back panel?
    I am sure cost will be a deciding factor, Thanks Photowhit.

P.S. So after re-reading your post, you actually have 2 E-panels? One DC only and one AC/DC? The AC/DC is over twice the cost, do you think the added expense is worth it?
  • Photowhit
    Saggys said:
    I like the idea of keeping the footprint small with the all in one E-panel that lets you mount the inverter on the door. Probably going to take the route you did and go with the DC only panel and use another MS box for the AC connections and mount them on a back panel?
    I am sure cost will be a deciding factor, Thanks Photowhit.

P.S. So after re-reading your post, you actually have 2 E-panels? One DC only and one AC/DC? The AC/DC is over twice the cost, do you think the added expense is worth it?
    Well... Yes I do have 2 E-Panels. But one is sitting in my 'Catchall' room. The panel you see is actually an E-Panel. The empty Din rail originally was setup for AC breakers with a exclusion type bypass so you could hookup a generator, but not run both at the same time.

The box is more crowded these days as I added a 3rd charge controller. It has since been removed, I tested a Conex 60 amp. I won't need any extra capacity until I replace the battery. I also reinstalled a single AC breaker and a 90amp DC breaker(with a spacer) on the open DIN rail when I installed the Magnum 4024. The DC breaker is for short term us if I have a failure with the Magnum, so I can temporarily use the old Prosine quickly.

The only reason I have either E-Panel is I paid less than $200 each for them during a Backwoods Solar Closet Clean out.

At one point I had 3...lol. The Magnum inverter I bought used came with one, though i didn't think so. I sold it here I think for a couple hundred dollars. FWIW the Magnum seems to be holding up pretty well. The linked forum entry shows the exclusion AC bypass thing.

Anyone using a Magnum MS4024? 120volt only? Fool or folly I picked up a used one... — northernarizona-windandsun (solar-electric.com)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Since I don't use a generator, I really don't need more than a DC panel and a small AC panel conduited to the inverter. For someone with a genny, a bypass box would be great.
  • Saggys
    Great info, thanks again. You did pretty good for yourself on your Magnum 4024 deal with E-panel! Trying to find out now if any of the smaller MS boxes like the Quad have a spot for a shunt in them as I really only require a 70 amp inverter breaker for the Exeltech XP1100 inverter.Would be nice to keep wire size down also.
  • Saggys
    Also, going to 48 volt requires a battery monitor that can accept the input voltage without a pre-scaler. All of my antiquated monitors stop at 24 volt, Trace TM 500, Trimetric 2020, Cruiser Equipment E-meter, they all require pre-scalers for 48 volt.
    Upon further review I think I could use a 60 amp inverter breaker with the Exeltech, much smaller wire than our existing 12 volt system.
  • Photowhit
    Saggys said:
    Also, going to 48 volt requires a battery monitor that can accept the input voltage without a pre-scaler. All of my antiquated monitors stop at 24 volt, Trace TM 500, Trimetric 2020, Cruiser Equipment E-meter, they all require pre-scalers for 48 volt.
    Upon further review I think I could use a 60 amp inverter breaker with the Exeltech, much smaller wire than our existing 12 volt system.
    While I have a DIN rail breaker setup for my Prosine, For some reason, Midnite doesn't recommend their use for inverters. 
    I think their panel mount breaks go to 100amps.

With a separate ATS box, and a single charge controller, you might be able to get by with an all panel mount box. No room for a shunt in this one;
    MidNite Solar MNEDCQUAD Enclosure for 1-4 Panel Mount Breakers

MidNite Solar 150 Volts 100 Amps DC Panel Mount Breaker | Northern Arizona Wind & Sun (solar-electric.com)

I have an Exeltech 1100, and it's a great unit. I used it for my 'lawn and garden' inverter while I had the 1800 running my home.
    With their clipped wave, it would run my 12 amp chainsaw continuously, though I could feel the change when it started clipping the wave.
  • Saggys
    I have a message sent to MS to see if a shunt can be installed in the Quad box you show, but I think your right that it cannot. Nice to get a positive report on the Exeltech 1100.