3 (400w)systems on sale what do you think?

Options
Zzman
Zzman Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello I'm Zac I'm new been reading alot great information I'm really enjoying the discussions. Hope this is best place to post this.
HQST has a sale on small 400 watt kits what do you think the way these are wired up, controller and quality any thoughts?

hqsolarpower.com

1)400 WATT 12/24 VOLT MONOCRYSTALLINE SOLAR PANEL KIT W/ 30A PWM CHARGE CONTROLLER
$395

2)400 WATT 12/24 VOLT MONOCRYSTALLINE SOLAR PANEL KIT W/ 40A MPPT CHARGE CONTROLLER
$483

3) 600 WATT 24 VOLT MONOCRYSTALLINE SOLAR PANEL KIT W/ 40A MPPT CHARGE CONTROLLER
$627
**what do you think about these 3**

I just want a small 400 watt ish system to power my pond air pumps and fountain. I have 2 gel 12v 100amp batteries each. A 1000w continuous 12v to 120 inverter. My energy draw is only 360-400watts. Not sure how many hours a day I'm going to run yet.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You first need to figure your loads of the air & water pumps.   Do they run 24/7 or just 6 sunny hours a day ?
     Then you want the smallest inverter that can reliably run your loads, excess inverter capacity just burns up storage.

400watts @ 8 hours 3,200 watt hours of load, 24 hours = 9,600wh of load

400w of solar @ 6 hours of harvest = 2,400 wh of harvest

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Zzman
    Options
    I really wanted to put a timer on them(wifi or traditional inline) to run within limits of a 400watt system to ensure I'm not running batteries down its for my pond aerators, simple air pond pumps. They can run 4-6 hours a day every day. 
    Unless there's a better way to control them?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    The other way is to get pumps that can run directly from solar panels (variable DC voltage and current)... And skip the whole battery bank+charge controller thing.

A Linear Current Booster "LCB" is one such component that can make solar panel > DC pump easier to accomplish:

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-LCB-10A-applications-Compatible/dp/B07SLR3RNH

LCB's are usually "not cheap" and you have to match them with the DC pump (max current, operating voltage, and maximum array voltage).

An LCB will convert the current*voltage from the solar panel (higher voltage lower current) and down convert to the lower voltage/higher current that DC motors "like" to use (more starting torque, operation in mornings/evenings when solar>DC motors would have "stalled" from not enough current).

I have thought that LCB should have been more popular--But they seem to be "nitch market" item (not many out there, not a lot of selection, etc.).

Anyway--A thought.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 #5
    Options
    Many DC well pumps come with LCB's as part of the kit.

This is a solar powered submersible water well pump, with a voltage range from 24 volts to 48 volts, DC only.
    These are made to run DIRECTLY off of photovoltaic panels (solar panels) without a battery bank needed, although you can add one if you wish.

A minimum of 300 watts of panels is required, although you can attach more to provide pumping capabilities in lower light conditions, like overcast skies.

maximum depth on this unit is approximately 250 feet with a max output of 8.5 gpm.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Zzman
    Options
    Ok thanks good ideas will check it out.