pump thermostat

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Some people install radiators behind their wood stoves to pick up heat. And circulate it with a good pump like a Grundfos or similar to a tank.
If you wanted to turn on/off the circulator pump by thermostat ,what thermostat would you use ?? And how would you wire it to the Grundfos or other pump? It would probably be a drainback reservoir so the pump would go on until the temp got too high in the reservoir. and also would have a second control24 hr timer
so it would only pump during the day..what do you know??

Comments

• wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
     As long as you put  a one way check valve in the cold line  bottom the het will cycle by itself .
      The tank just has to be higher then the stove 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You don't even need a check valve, I have a 1" SS loop in my heater, and it themosiphons nicely with a 80 gal DHW tank above the heater. no loss in summer, and 90F water, preheated for my tankless.
      ( not my system, but very close )
    https://www.firespeaking.com/masonry-heaters/heat-water/details-of-plumbing/

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We heat a 450 gallon hot tub with a wood fired boiler. No check valve or circulating pump. The difference in height between  the 1.5" intake and outlet is about 2 feet.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can find a "snap switch" thermostat at a HVAC supply house.  They are a disc with 2 spade connectors.  Different cycling temperatures are available.  If you look in a furnace you'll see them on the outside of the plenum.  when the air gets hot enough they turn on the fan.  I used one to cycle a fan behind a woodstove until I started using Ecofans.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meant to write that they are visible on the outside of the heat exchanger, not the cold air plenum.