Looking for Lower Cost Copper wire (8-10AWG) from Panels to Inverter Connection

Basspig
Basspig Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭
It seems that every time I find a good price on "copper" wire, when I look in the fine print, it turns out to be copper plated aluminum wire.

Where can I buy real copper wire for long runs from solar array to inverter? I estimate up to 100' runs. I'm looking for a zip cord that's red/black color coded/polarity marked, if can be had reasonably. I'm probably likely to use two sets of cables as I'm splitting 40 panels into 2 arrays.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why anyone would "Copper plate aluminum wire"?

So you want "zip cord wire"? Will this be in conduit? I think only black USE2 wire is UV protected for direct sunlight. Perhaps PV wire can come in zip cord...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Basspig
    Probably to make people think they're buying copper wire at a good price. It's all over eBay and other places like Amazon.
    I'm doing a rather experimental setup, which, if successful with the amount of sunlight we get, may be upgraded to a more permanent setup. I like the red/black zip cord because a blind old man like me can see which wire is positive and negative fairly easily.
  • showme
    showme Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited February 2022 #4
    • Last I looked, Temco brand is gong for about 50 cents a foot, and it's American made. Better than a lot of them. Watch out for what you get if you're running it through conduit (heat). For some reason, Temco says they're out of black bulk wire as of the other day. But I've seen a deal on ebay or amazon where Temco has two 100' wire, one red and one black, with fittings on each end, for $109.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."   Goethe

2006 Trace Xantrex power panel, (3) SW5548 inverters- 2 NOS Trace's (1999) and 1 Trace/Xantrex 2006 for back up (came with power panel. et al), Xantrex DC/disconnect, Xantrex AC disconnect/bypass, (3) C40 PWM charge controllers- 2 NOS, one used. (8)Evergreen  Solar 120w (960w),  8k LG Neon 2, (25) 320w, Bergey XL.1 1.5k genny, Air X 400 genny (came with used system), 48v Interstate Workman batts (now frozen/toast), (2) Montana Solar adjustable Top of Pole 12 array racks, (2) Midnite Solar MSPV 4 combiner boxes, (2) Midnite Solar Classic 150's (one an SL), SOK LiFePo stack of 500ah and one nice Ozark hilltop to set them all on.

• Basspig
    That's a pretty good price at Temco. I was paying about $350 for 200' of 8AWG copper THHN wire with teflon coating.
  • Daveyclimber
    Daveyclimber Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I'll vouch for Temco as well. I have used their zip cord, welding cable and PV wire and have an assortment of hydraulic tools, pumps, crimper and knockouts. 
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 #7
    Where are you @Basspig?
    I have a good bit of 10 gauge solid wire I picked up years ago from household wiring remnants. Some near full 250 foot rolls. I'm in Missouri don't want to ship, but get east to west pretty often along the I70 corridor. And travel to Cincinnati and Florida at least once a year. Greenville SC often as well.

I'll bring a propane torch, I think you can melt aluminum but not copper with a propane torch.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Basspig
    Thanks for that offer but I have already built the system since late June and early july. I'm up in Connecticut by the way.