combiner box and breaker sizing question

offgridcabin2015
offgridcabin2015 Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited December 2021 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
so i want to have 2 strings of 6 -300watts panels in series. 

experts can i put in series ( + to -) for one string /  6 panels then have ONE (Whatever size breaker) for it? 
Then do this again for my second string /  

I want to make ground mounts one faceing south / for dec only (worst mnth of year) and the other array facing west (capturing sun on it's way down.  

is this okies? i was looking at the schneider electr Rs and my God 700+ and they make you pay extra for the knob ( which i think is a huge MONEY GRAB. )

that's like buying a car and i hhave to pay extra  for the windshield / makes no sense to me. And sadly as much as i like it . 
that setup turned me away for Schneider . 

Yes i know it's a mondular buiding blocks . dont' sell the turn knob separate people " common!!

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In strings of 6 you'll need a charge controller that can handle 300 volts, unless you are in a very warm climate.

The solar panel will include a series rating for the panels, If you click on the down load Spec's link you will find;

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • offgridcabin2015
    Thankyou Photowhit Solar Expert for your reply. So who makes a  300volt charge controller outback?
    I"M beginning to see it's gonna be way better if i wire  3 x300 w panels in series then use mn pv6 combiner box  i'll split it inside so i can have 2 arrays / one south . on it's on inverter and one west on it's on inverter. I know how to do this . I'll be building a 2 ground mounts. JUst would of been nice to have  ahigh voltage system but omg the a cost.

I"ll be buying Schneidr 6048 invertertger charger this feb 2022.  i'm told zanbus NOT compatible with outback flex 80. (but will works for reg operation) so i lose out on communicatios / oh well. i' dont' have that fancy stuff now  and i'm doing alright. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS.
  • Photowhit
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • offgridcabin2015
    so when i do the math on  your idea of  12 panels   300w x 12 panels is  3600 w x 1.25 factor in cold i'm in Atltantic cananda get to  -40 below zero . and will be running  48v config that puts me over at  4500watts.  Is my math correct?
  • Photowhit
    so when i do the math on  your idea of  12 panels   300w x 12 panels is  3600 w x 1.25 factor in cold i'm in Atltantic cananda get to  -40 below zero . and will be running  48v config that puts me over at  4500watts.  Is my math correct?
    Sort of...

It will be hard to see much over panel rating at solar noon. Panels will warm up a bit and there is usually no need for full power by solar noon. It would be rare to need the full power. Generally you have to build for the worst case senerio and usually you'll be fully charged or reach absorb before you need the full ability of your array.

If you plug in the numbers into that last link I provided, it may say over paneled but in the cost effective range of about 20% above the charge controllers max output. If there is more power coming into the unit than it can convert, it simply won't use the extra.

There are other reasons to use something that is related to your inverter. Not sure about Schneider's CC line up.

• offgridcabin2015
    edited December 2021 #7
    i have flex max 80 CC, it will not allow over panelling. Thus 4000watts max which must include 1.25 (cold factored in)
    So the most i can do safely is 10 panels  on this cc.