Is this possible ?

nigtomdaw
nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
Hi My Spanish Farmer Neighbour has asked me if this is possible via solar and a dedicated pump.

He needs to pump a hieght of 150 meters (500 ft) at a rate of 25,000 litres an hour. 92 gallons minute, so whilst the head is fixed the capacity is from his current set up using a 20 kva genset and a 20 kva 3 phase pump. Is this possible via solar I know nothing about solar water pumping.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Is this possible ?

i think it's possible with enough money and land area to hold all of the pvs to do nearly anything with solar. now the practicality and need of trying to move a small river up a small mountain is one i'd be curious of. does he do this now?
  • nigtomdaw

Neil with enough money we can do anything, so true....my Neighbour Marcello...... remember Im the imigrant... is a lovely chap..... if water can be pumper over a longer period thus lower capacity, pump wise and water is only required when the sun is shining,,,,,thus power available some one some where might crunch some numbers..... I speak no Spanish he speaks no english, but Id promised him Id ask the experts........he is a man of means and his genset has just blown a fuse so to speak.....he watches my expanding system with interest and regulary through interperters tells me off for not learning the lingo !

Id like to help !
  • nigtomdaw

Niel reading your reply he had a 20 kw genset supply a 3 phase 20 kw pump massive figures I know,,, I supect things are lost in translation but I think hes in the ball park !8)
  • niel

if he gets enough wind have him start with some wind mills (don't confuse with wind generators). i'm not sure of the water source he has, but wind mills have been used for centuries to move water.
  • nigtomdaw

Niel thanks I didnt expect a reply,,,,this guy has properties all over Europe,,, he was the first to tell me to build my wind genny to 7m for build regs get it passed then increase to my 9m as he was my only possible objector..........nieghbour on 3 sides + railway.....

Im sure when the figures come in he will repair his genset..... but \\\\\\\\\ I promised to ask the experts of NAWS,

My youngest has just broken his lower leg in a motoring accident and the community in Spain have been brilliant in his recovery..... my ability to help them is ab so lute ly founded in do as you expect to be done to you....Spain rules OK for Family Care !!!!!

As an imigrant you adapt.. you dont teach.... IMHO........
  • nigtomdaw

Niel I dont have a clue where his agua water H2O problem is but he is not a daft lad ,, he is a bussiness fellow ,,with locations across Europe and his gasoil ,,,diesel bill is be coming unacceptable.... we all in joy orange juice,,,but in Spain it is becoming an un economic crop to harvest !...really
  • niel

never thought he was daft. sorry if you misunderstood.
    also, sorry to hear your son broke his leg. hope it heals ok.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Nigel,

Take a look through the manuals from the links I posted in this previous thread. One's in English, the other in Spanish, and they might help give your neighbor an idea about "what and how":

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=2091

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nigtomdaw wrote: »
    Hi My Spanish Farmer Neighbour has asked me if this is possible via solar and a dedicated pump.

He needs to pump a hieght of 150 meters (500 ft) at a rate of 25,000 litres an hour. 92 gallons minute, so whilst the head is fixed the capacity is from his current set up using a 20 kva genset and a 20 kva 3 phase pump. Is this possible via solar I know nothing about solar water pumping.

That is a LOT of water.
    Yes, it's possible. Does he need to pump 25/7, or just when sun shines ? Much simpler if he can get by with pumping only when sun shines.

Is there much "excess water" ? Stream flow can be harnessed to power a "RAM PUMP"
    which wastes half the water collected, but if it's free, the price is right.
    http://www.theramcompany.com/drawing.html
    http://www.riferam.com/pump1.htm

Solar PV will be expensive, price out a 30KW array - close to $<value overflow> but run cost will be low.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• nigtomdaw

Jim thanks for those links, Ive downloaded them both and will pass on the Spanish copy to Marcello,,, They do a pump that will lift 160 meters, they favor a battery less system,

Mike I havent checked your link yet. I suspect its for watering Orange Trees but its only a guess, A holding tank would be required as a sort of battery replacement .

At least I have one solution for him in Spanish, thats cool !:cool: