Gateway/cloud not showing/getting battery monitor info

GaryNorman
GaryNorman Registered Users Posts: 5

The following will probably be a clear as mud ....  but am going it a try anyway.

My Battery Monitor is not being found by the Gateway, which replaced the former combox.

Also,  If the battery status info from the Battery Monitor should be going over to the SCP and showing at BattMon/Monitor screen, there is no info is showing there.       Possibly the same problem of the Battery Monitor Device info not getting to the Gateway either?

A fairly standard setup.
Inverter Charger XW6848-01[346897]         User Interface  XW SCP[1405067]   Charge ControllerXW MPPT80[1322212]and XW MPPT80[1322205]    Generator     XW AGS[1760273]      Batter Monitor but not showing up.

I think the shop I purchased the syst. from wired the Battery monitor/pre-scaller incorrect and  among other incorrect Battery Monitor readings was the voltage.   They had powered 2 Stanton's through a dc -dc inverter and then also taped into that output for the (H -red/ G- black) power  wires and also the  (F brown/E - grey) main Voltage sense wires.    I believe the shunt twisted pair wires were correct to the shunt.       I ended up wiring direct to the battery (like the guide) and the voltage then came out correct at the Battery Monitor.   

My question is where to start looking for why the "Battery Monitor" doesn't come up with the other devices at the Gateway?  (  Must be a Xanbuss com issue.  ---   And also there is no Battery info at the SOC  BattMon/Monitor screen. )        It appears that Schneider may have just done an Cloud display upgrade.     On the previous one, none our system   Batt. SoC (%)  or BMS where displaying Home screen.      Now I don't even see a summary list there that at least did  show the batter voltage, along with current status of other things.  Correction - It appears it now can be seen via the top performance tab, choosing batteries, and then SOC %, Volts and Battery Temp  are supposed to show up ?

I have shut down and disconnected the Battery Monitor ... then reconnect the  orange Pre-scaller line and then the in and out Xanbus line and restarted.    Readings are ok at the battery monitor but not getting at the Gateway?  (and maybe the readings should also be getting to the SCP and showing at BattMon/Monitor screen)       ( Not getting a battery temp at the Battery Monitor, but I am going to add a secondary BTS directly to the to the Battery Monitor.)

A hint of maybe where to look would be much appreciated.   I am not a teck installer but have been around a bit of this stuff.     The Insight cloud  and gateway WIFI  connect for changes etc. all seem to work fine.

Thanks
Gary N.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Xanbus is a daisy chain network, with a termination resistor at each end.  if a termination is missing, it's not likely to work.

The gateway can be commanded to re-read/discover all the devices on the network.

Without the battery monitor, SoC cannot be displayed
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• GaryNorman
    edited December 2021 #3
    Thanks mike95490.   Very much appreciated.          Other than the stated problem of the Battery Monitor info not getting to SOC or Gateway/cloud the Xanbus with an end termination seems to work?
    OK -- Sounds like for whatever reason the Battery Monitor - Xanbus must be the problem area.   (No data getting to the User Interface  XW
    SCP   ....  and makes sense that non would get to the gateway/cloud either.)
    I am guess that if there is no battery Monitor data getting to the SCP ....  then for now the suggestion to "The gateway can be commanded to re-read/discover all the devices on the network." wouldn't help for now.   But is good to know.
    I will try taking out the Battery Monitor and reinstalling it back into the Xanbuss anew.

There is an end termination at my gateway end and if there is supposed to be one at the other end ... I will check.  I believe my other end is at the inverter.    Also seems that except for the Battery Monitor info output? ... the Xanbuss is working. 
    The data at the Battery Monitor seems to be fine now ....  but not getting sent over to the other devices?

I see that the actual Battery Monitor device is not listed as compatible with the gateway.     I am not sure that is not a problem as the info from the Battery monitor should get the the SCP and it is compatible with the gateway.   The data currently appears not currently getting to be getting to the SCP either.       (I believe the Battery Monitor data is supposed to show up at the SCP  - BattMon/Monitor screen ?  )

• GaryNorman
    edited December 2021 #4

Thanks mike95490,    Very much appreciated.
    Yes the Xanbuss daisy chain has a terminator at the newly installed Gateway end.   I never installed the other end which I think starts at the inverter but most of the Xanbuss must be working in order to deliver active Inverter, charge controllers, AGS, function at the System Control Panel.   HOWEVER THE SCP  doesn't have any BattMon info or function at the SCP.      I never noted this as a possible problem earlier since the Battery Monitor had been delivered improperly wired (mentioned earlier above) and some of its data, such as voltage, was displaying incorrect anyway.)
    This makes  me think the info isn't getting over the Xanbus to the SCP from the Battery Monitor,  where there is now active accurate info at the Battery Monitor screen .
    If the data got over the the the SCP via the Xanbuss, then I think maybe that data could be available to the Gateway.  ( I notice that the Battery Monitor is not listed as a compatible device in the Gateway guide, leading me to think that maybe the Battery Monitor data needs to be active at the SCP ... in order to be available to the Gateway )
    Anyway I will try removing the Battery Monitor from the Xanbuss chain and then do a reinstall.
    Hmmmm   I am wondering when there is some the same settings at booth the SCP and Battery Monitor. (I think)   Should a change at one change the other or would they both have to be set separately?     ON MORE Guide Reading it looks like the SCP should remotely set the Battery Monitor.   At a Battery Monitor setup/ then I understand one would leave the "The default value for all Reset menu settings is “OFF”and do settings from the SCP  BattMon screens.
    Cheers,   Gary N.

• mike95490
    I have neither CPS, BattMon, or AGS.     What is a CPS ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• GaryNorman
    Sorry mike95490, I put it correct as SCP "System Control Panel" in the first post.     I edited the second post where it was incorrect.   
    I also have the AGS " Auto Generator Start" model and the "Battery Monitor module", where I believe the Battery Monitor is the problem .
    I think the the readout at the Battery Monitor is now correct with the wiring change  but the data is not getting over to  System Control Panel via the Xanbuss.       If it were, all the Battery Monitor settings should be able to be done at the SCP.
    And if I can get that working, I think that data would be available to the new Gateway/WIFI  module.
    As stated earlier the Inverter, Charge Controllers,System Control Panel all seem to be exchanging data via the Xanbuss fine, except for the Battery Monitor info.        I will try reinstalling as if from new and see if I can get the data flowing on the Xanbuss .....   to the System Control Panel.  cheers

• mike95490
    While ordinary ethernet cables are compatible with xanbus using too short of a cable can cause a problem. Little 2' neat and tidy cables screw up the data timing, I think it's either 6' or 8' minimum cable length to insure reliable data.   And you will need 2 terminations, one at each end.

• GaryNorman
    The cables are reasonably long.  The Xanbus is working fine between  the Inverter Charger,Charge Controllers,Generator Auto Start, System Control Panel and also some data getting to the new Gateway  ...... except for data from the Battery Monitor module to the new Gateway.   I would like to use the SoC (%) from the Battery Monitor for the start/stop Generator triggers ... rather than the battery voltage for start and float for stop.
    I have tried a few different things but I am kinda stumped for the moment.
    Not a big deal since the system is working fine overall even without the Battery monitor being useful.   Thanks

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You should see Bat mon on SCP as a device BTW.    Below is what it would look like on Insight Cloud.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net