Bought an inferior battery for genset?

Options
softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
Found the "right battery" for the  genset at the "right price" half a year ago. Wondered why the genset struggles when starting. So I tested this new battery. It is not very good at all. Resistance is about 6 1/2. Good manufacturers don't sell batteries with resistance over 5. CCA only measured about 450 though it is a smaller "Prius sized" 12 volt battery. Shoot - my 2012 battery still puts out 400 CCA with resistance of 7 1/2.

Where did I find this "gem of a new battery"? At a salvage yard - it was labeled as new with a fresh manufacturing date of 4/21. Perhaps - but inferior components were clearly used. At $60 while Costco asks $80 - there was reason to be suspicious. Suspicions confirmed.

Or.....perhaps it is damaged from overcharging due to running the genset 24/7?
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Throw a DMM on the battery and see what voltage it is charging at, check wiring and for solid/clean electrical connections, etc.... Things do go wrong sometimes.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset