Doing a new DIY build for a solar generator

Options
OK everyone, going to build a DIY solar generator.  Have some spare parts here that I think would get me to about 85% and just need to buy some plugs and a little wiring.  Anyone went down this path before?  Any things you wish you could do over.  I have watertight tool cart that can hold the batteries securely and then utilized liquidtite connections to breach the shell.  Just seeing if anyone has done this already or if you haver some best practices you learned.  More than willing to post some updates as it progresses.

Comments

• dbarnard67
    dbarnard67 Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Options
    One other question, 12v or 24v?  I am thinking 3,000 watt inverter on a 12v system as the camper that it could potentially run would be set up for 12v conversion plugin, like at campgrounds and things
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd suggest looking at what you hope to power, and build a system to meet your needs.

A 'solar generator' is just a bunch of components, 3000 watt inverter is likely to large for any cart size system with a tiny 2-400 watt array.

Might flesh out they system you hope to build, I'd want a huge array to use a 3000 watt inverter, heck I ran my home off a 1800 watt inverter for several years, including window air conditioning, water heating as an opportunity load, along with typical lights, washing machine, microwave, fridge... I used a 1700 watt array at my cabin and 4000 watt array at my current home. 4 golf cart batteries at my minimal cabin, about 250 pounds by themselves.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.