Does this schematic look ok? Any suggestions?

Options
yakapo7
yakapo7 Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭
I need two strings because it’s going on the East and West sides of the home.  

Do I need an ac disconnect?  Any other suggestions? 

Comments

• yakapo7
    yakapo7 Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Options
    I was told I would have to have an ac disconnect, so I added it to the schematic

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yakapo7 said:
    I was told I would have to have an ac disconnect, so I added it to the schematic
    I don't know the rules where you are, but current NEC requires disconnects on the roof for central inverter systems. You may be under different/earlier code, or even out of the US...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • t00ls
    t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit said:
    yakapo7 said:
    I don't know the rules where you are, but current NEC requires disconnects on the roof for central inverter systems. You may be under different/earlier code, or even out of the US...

I think the new rules in the US also require a one stop emergency disconnect for the panels...this is for roofs only....if they are on a tracker, away from the home , it is different

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,442 admin
    Options
    The AC mains disconnect was a different issue...

Roof top disconnects are there to stop and ignition source (arcing DC wiring from solar panels--DC voltage is very good at "sustaining arcs" at >12 VDC). 

AC Solar disconnect (lineman accessible on outside of home) was for Grid Tied Inverter equipped homes... The disconnect was to allow the utility lineman to disconnect any power sources from inside the home while working on the pole drops. Otherwise, the lineman would be trained to pull the AC meter--And it will leave the customer "in the dark" until somebody came back to reinstall the meter at a later time. The AC GT disconnect would allow the home to get back utility power when utility power was restored.

In California, we had an AG GT disconnect requirement like 15+ years ago... However, since all UL Listed GT inverters these days are designed and tested to ensure that they do not feed power back to a "dead" utility drop, California has since dropped the GT Solar disconnect switch requirement.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset