Help! Where do I start?

Options
Going off grid. Need help with basics. Where can I get info that I can understand?  I know very little about solar power. 

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Right here is as good a place to start as any!

To begin, you should get a handle on the loads you hope to run with your system. All good systems start with understanding what you want to do. Some things don't lend them selves to being able to run on solar electric. Things that heat and cool are the major energy users in a home. I would recommend looking for gas or wood to heat the home and water. 

Another axiom is the you will save money in the long run but creating an efficient home now. so add insulation, caulk and seal the home. But efficient appliances, some advances have been remarkable, I've lived off grid for 20+ years. I bought a 20 inch LCD TV when they first came out it used about 45 watts, Years later I bought an 39 inch LED LCD TV, it used about the same, a 3-4 years ago I bought a 55 inch LED LCD TV that uses about 55-60 watts.

So look around and use an 'Off Grid Solar Energy Calculator' to help figure out your energy needs. You need not submit anything, it will total for you which is nice. Look around on the internet and do a few of the calculators so you can get a eel for your daily energy needs. 

Off Grid Solar Load Calculator | Northern Arizona Wind & Sun (solar-electric.com)

Then we'll also need to know where you live, so we can figure out how much energy is available (good size city nearest you).

I usually ask the question 'Why?', since many people hope to save money by going off grid with solar. In truth off grid is typically more expensive the the grid.

Here's a link to my current system, built 8 years ago and rough costs and some minimal information on what I have it doing.

It's going to be close to cost effective! or Off grid at 26 cents a KWh! — northernarizona-windandsun (solar-electric.com)

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cecily said:
    Photowhit said:
    Right here is as good a place to start as any!

Thanks, it helped me also a lot!
    Might start a thread of your own, We love to discuss thigs BEFORE people start buying stuff!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.