GENERATOR FOR SUBMERSIBLE PUMP

Options
tommy
tommy Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
I was going to change my submersible pump from 240 Ac to 110 ac  with a variable speed motor. But after following some blogs here, and checking the pump price ($1700. vrs $600. for a standaard pump), I decided to go with a generator when the power is down. I have a generator that hooks to the existing 240 ac. However this generator is not clean energy, My question is, could this generator burn up the pump or the controls?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most modern generators produce clean electricity, and would only need to run a few minutes a day ( maybe 3 or 4 times if your system uses a pressure tank) to pump  a large amount of water. 
       if the generator is the correct voltage and wattage for your pump, nothing should burn up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    This site has a lot of information about generators/inverters and inductive loads (movie lighting and such). Good read:

http://www.screenlightandgrip.com/html/emailnewsletter_generators.html

There can be an issue with the some of the "newer" mass market inverter-generators... The expensive ones (Honda and such) are Pure/True Sine Wave output. The cheaper ones a (sometimes, many times, almost all the time?) MSW (modified square/sine wave) output.

And as I went to "backup" my above statement... I could not find one word on the eu2200i Honda if it is PSW or MSW output... Did find that Yamaha listed:

https://yamahaef2000is.com/

The Yamaha EF2000iSv2 generator uses an innovative inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) (see Generator or Inverter?). This means that the power output by this unit is in the form of pure sine waves, cleaner than even many commercial sources of electricity, and far superior to standard-alternator generators. What this means is that the power provided by the EF2000iSv2 is suitable for today’s delicate electronic devices that rely on microchip circuitry, such as computers, TVs, and many appliances and tools. The unit also features an electrical overload breaker which will prevent damage to the generator should an unexpected overload occur.

MSW wave forms are not great for induction motors, transformers, and some electric based power supplies. Depending on design and construction, some devices can overheat and die sooner on MSW power (hours, weeks, ??).

If the vendor does not answer PSW/TSW/MSW, you can ask what the THD (total harmonic distortion) of the 120 VAC is... 5% THD or less, PSW/TSW. Typically 25% to 30% or so THD, MSW.

The issue with induction motors is that the 60 Hz frequency goes to making the motor turn... The Higher Harmonics (higher freaquencies) in MSW wave form do nothing to turn the motor--They just generate waste heat (i.e., 5% THD, 5% of power usage is waste heat; 25% THD, 25% of the power usage is wasted heat). In transformers, the higher frequencies can be converted to heat too (run hot). In some electronics, the "sharp edge" of the MSW wave form can damage input diodes and capacitors.

The end answer is about 80% of the AC loads out there will run OK on MSW. And above 10-20% can/will have issues. How to know the difference--It is not always obvious or easy to tell (watch for hot running devices is a frequent "tell").

And SceenLighting link above, you can see that while standard "alternator" generators should generate true sine wave output, the actual generator design and loads can affect/distort the AC Voltage output...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tommy
    Options
    Thank you both for your input. I know this generator is dirty, because it fried a $500. mother board on an airless sprayer in the past. I also have a Honda pure sine generator, but it doesn;t have a 220 plug. I see at Amazon they sell a box that is suppose to convert 110 to 220 240. anyone know if that would work? or any other suggestions other than buying a new generator.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    edited August 2021 #5
    Options
    You are welcome to post a link to the "box" you are looking at so we can talk about it directly.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=120+to+240+VAC+transformer&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

There are "auto wound" transformers that are used in solar power systems (more expensive). From our host:

https://www.solar-electric.com/search/?q=transformer+auto

Transformers can add a bit of "complexity" to an AC power system. Transformers do have a "starting surge", and auto transformers are wired "differently" than other types of traditional input:output transformers. And additional transformers do have some additional losses (around 5% or so).

And then there is walking back to what is the generator usage you are planning for?

Filling your cistern once a day with an hour of running... No noise issues (aka neighbors to tick off). And you can store enough fuel for 7 hours a week runtime. A large / noisy / cheap genset may be the answer.

Medium sized genset running 1/2 gallon per hour * 7 days = 3.5 gallons of fuel

If you need to run the genset for, say 5 hours a day/evening (run pump to pressurize 20 gallon tank while cooking/cleaning/showering, run some lights, TV, laptop, cell charger, and other items at that time)--Then perhaps a more expensive inverter-generator type (Honda euxx00 family, Yamaha, etc.) would be more fuel efficient.
    • Medium sized genset running 1/2 gph * 5 hours * 7 days = 17.5 gallons of fuel per week
    • Smallish sized inverter-genest running 1/8 gph * 5 hours * 7 days = 4.4 gallons of fuel per week
    • Medium for water pumping + small inverter-genset for rest of home = 3.5+4.4=7.9 gallons of fuel per week for both functions with two gensets
    The above may or may not be "answer" for you... But how I would suggest to "ask the questions" and model your usage. Buying an eu7000i genset for its 120/240 VAC output may be a great "all in one" solution--But it may not be cost effective for your needs @ $4,700 vs the $1,000 inverter-genset and $700 or so medium generic genset:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-7000-Watt-Ultra-Quiet-Remote-Start-Stop-Electric-Recoil-Start-Gasoline-Powered-Inverter-Generator-EU7000ISNAN/316605166

Or big old noise maker tri fuel (gasoline, propane, natural gas) for $1,000 (can be as low as $700 on sale(?):

https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100648883.html

Or smaller/cheaper simple genset for $400:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-4550-3650-Watt-Recoil-Start-Gasoline-RV-Ready-Portable-Generator-CARB-200969/315001375

Or you revisit the well pump itself question (more solar/generator friendly version and power with the smallish inverter-generator).

And there is the old "be prepared" saw... three is two, two is one, one is none in an emergency. I have had good luck "pickling" gensets (use fuel preservative/change fuel once a year; run genset to hot--get moisture out of oil, drain fuel from tank and carburettor, squirt of oil in spark plug hole, pull on starter rope to start of compression cycle--intake and exhaust valves closed). Your needs/experiences may differ from mine.

-Bill

PS: Links above are just points of information (fuel usage, size of genset, etc.). I know nothing about Firman brand... Champion, in general, had some nice posts here about reliability. I personally have stayed away from Generac. Hondas have been pretty good (expensive, a bit behind the times in "new features"--But simple may be better for emergency backup--Your choices).
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tommy
    Options
    I decided to go with a new Grundfos 5SQ05-180 110v submersible pump. I found it for $660. at " aquasience online ". My local Ferguson store wanted over $1000. Now I can move on to booster pumps. Of course the first question is, do I have to go with an expensive variable speed model? I have a 60 gallon pressure tank and we only use about 300 gallons per day, so it runs 12 minutes six times a day. I do plan on running both pumps off solar and batteries.           I saw a link here sometime back to booster pump sales, I forgot to mark it, if someone could re-post it.            I am also going to add a 1/2 horsepower variable sspeed swimming pool pump to the system later. I know I will need a good inverter to run all this, anyone have a size or brand suggestion?
  • tommy
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I will put the swimming pool on a timer, so it will run 6hrs a day when the sun is out.