Gateway/XW6048 compatibility?

johnhall6095
johnhall6095 Registered Users Posts: 27 ✭✭
I've had a 5kW system consisting of 2 x XW6048, 2 x MPPT60, SCP, and Combox working for over 10 years now.  I recently added another 5kW of panels with no problems... life was good.  Then tried to add a MTTP100 to my system and all hell broke loose in this order:

1.  SCP firmware version did not recognize the MTTP100 after it was added to the network.
2.  Combox would not recognize latest SCP firmware as compatible with my SCP.
3.  Online research says Combox has been deprecated and that I should purchase a Gateway for configuring newer devices.
4.  Order and wait two weeks for a Gateway.
5.  Install Gateway on network with MTTP100 (didn't disconnect Combox).
6.  Use Gateway to update SCP firmware.  Suddenly the slave XW6048 starts throwing F66 fault!
7.  Toil for three days trying to clear the F66 even though all multi-unit settings are correct and all cables test out ok.
8.  Remove Gateway and Combox from network and isolate/check each component of the system one-by-one with SCP, DC power down after adding each component.
9.  Finally clear the F66 and get master/slave inverter link, both MTTP's, SCP, and Combox working again. <sheesh>

So, now the MTTP100 and Gateway are sitting disconnected from the system and I'm wondering what the next step would be to try to add them.  Questions are:

1.  Will the Gateway work with the XW6048's without mucking up their configuration data?  The Gateway docs say compatible with XW Pro and XW+ only.  I assume that I should disconnect the Combox when adding the Gateway as I've read on this forum that they don't play well together.

2.  Should I use the Gateway connected to only the MTTP100 for configuration and then remove it when connecting the MTTP100 to the system?

3.  Will the MTTP100 play nice with the two MTTP60's and the Combox?

After the so much time spent recovering from this ordeal, I'm pretty wary about connecting the new components (Gateway, MTTP100) without asking and getting answers to these questions, which I should have done in the first place.

Sorry for the long post (and I accidentally posted in the "Off grid" forum so reposted here).

John 
15kW PV, Grid-tie + 1210AH Deka lead acid battery bank, 2 x XW6048, 2 x MTTP60-150, 1 x MTTP100-600, SCP, Gateway

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Welcome to the forum John,

No problem on which forum your post too... Close is good enough.

I cannot answer your questions, so I will let others better than I answer going forward.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My XW6048 plays well with Gateway.   My combox died, so I have no way to test them together, but I did hear they confuse each other.
    Gate way reads all XW6048 data fine, I've not had need to alter any settings.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this offgrid? As Mike said it will work but not all gateway functions are going to work or configure with an old greybox xw. For offgrid you should be fine. Combox and gateway on same network is not recommended and can cause undefined behavior. That is the reason not to do this. You can have them on separate xanbus networks which gateway has.

One thing you can do is complete DC shutdown for 5 minutes. Next thing is if there is a device weirding, try restoring defaults on that device.

I have to go as it is fire season and I get busy keeping the lights on! Our area is fine but I have a few up in Oregon that are wishing that they were not living in a forest. Nevada is looking good Bill ! Cheers!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• johnhall6095
    Thanks Bill, Mike, and Dave for the quick replies.  Dave, this is grid-tied with battery bank.  So, based on your replies, I'm thinking these could be next steps:

1.  Finalize and backup XW6048 configuration using Combox.
    2.  Swap out Combox with Gatway.
    3.  Add and configure MTTP100 with Gateway.

After these steps, I'm hoping the only thing I need to remember is to not use the Gateway to make config changes to the XW6048's.  Which is fine because I can always swap in the Combox for that if needed.

Thanks guys!
    15kW PV, Grid-tie + 1210AH Deka lead acid battery bank, 2 x XW6048, 2 x MTTP60-150, 1 x MTTP100-600, SCP, Gateway
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Bill, Mike, and Dave for the quick replies.  Dave, this is grid-tied with battery bank.  So, based on your replies, I'm thinking these could be next steps:

1.  Finalize and backup XW6048 configuration using Combox.
    2.  Swap out Combox with Gatway.
    3.  Add and configure MTTP100 with Gateway.

After these steps, I'm hoping the only thing I need to remember is to not use the Gateway to make config changes to the XW6048's.  Which is fine because I can always swap in the Combox for that if needed.

Thanks guys!
    Yes, I'm offgrid, so swapping combox / gateway as needed should work
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• b. ecologìcAll
    b. ecologìcAll Registered Users Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    remove the combox
    install the gateway
    upgrade the gateway to the last firmware
    at your own risk, upgrade the XW6048 with the latest firmware of the XW6848+ (all you have to do is rename the 6848+ FW with the name of the 6048 FW, I have done this for more of a dozen of installations with no problem at all) 
    configure first the XW master, once finished, turn it off, now configure the XW Slave
    once finish, turn the slave off, startup the master, once you have it working with no faults, startup the slave.
    you are welcome !
  • johnhall6095
    Thanks, I will try this and report back.