Renogy System stuck in Night Mode

Options
Hi all, I’m running a Renogy Rover 40A charge controller on a Sprinter van. I have 3x 100w panels up top and 2x 12v 100ah batteries. 

About a week ago I noticed the charge controller is not detecting any PV input and is saying the panels are in night mode. So far I have not found an obvious reason. 

I used a multimeter to confirm that 1 panel is producing electricity. However I cannot find places to check the other 2 (the wires seem to run under the panels and they’re very difficult to remove). I attempted to find wiring by removing my interior siding and roofing, no dice. I used the multimeter to check the PV wires going into the charge controller and they’re not producing anything. 

This makes me think the problem is between panel 1 and the controller, but I’m not quite sure what to do about it. Any ideas?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    You probably will have to find all the wiring and connections

Unbolt the panels, disconnect panels from harnesses and check Voc voltage open circuit usually around 20 volts; and Isc short circuit current--point each panel at sun and using a DMM set to 10 amp max current and see what Isc is--Typically around 50% to 100% of Isc on panel or roughly 3.5 yo 7.1 amps in full sun--depending on weather/angle of sun--3x panels -- All should read pretty close to same Isc).

If you see ~17-21 volts on one panel--Then it does not sound like a short circuit (short circuit should pull all panels to zero volt output). So, in this case, I would be looking for open circuits (cut wire, pulled connection, pulled crimp connection, etc.).

At some point all the 3 pairs of wires from the panels should join into just one pair of wires to the charge controller (a "combiner box" which may have 3 fuses or not to parallel connect all the panels).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset