Can inverter's charging unit clash with charge controller

Options
Cuteajax
Cuteajax Registered Users Posts: 4
I just connected my Midnite solar classic 200 charger controller to my Outback VFX3024 inverter. I want to start with setting the charger parameters on the charge controller. I realize that both the Inverter and the charge controller have similar charging capabilities. Is is possible that there could be a clash between the inverter's charger and the charge controller? I f yes, How do I make sure that the inverter's charger does not clash with the charge controller? I.e. how do I set priority for the charge controller as my preferred device to charge the batteries so that the inverter only handles the charging when the charge controller drops it (after sunset)?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cuteajax said:
    I just connected my Midnite solar classic 200 charger controller to my Outback VFX3024 inverter. 
    I don't know of any charge controller designed to be hooked up to an inverter. You hook them up to batteries. 

Inverter/chargers are designed to charge from AC sources.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    You can have two more more charging sources connected in parallel to a single battery bank.

And you can program one to charge at a little bit higher voltage than the other (the highest voltage "wins").

Generally, if you have both utilty power and solar power--You want to "favor" charging with "free" solar power, and only use the utility power if needed.

I am guessing you are in Nigeria(?) and have unreliable/expensive power... From your other post (lets keep everything in one "discussion"/"thread"--I will close your other thread):
    I have a battery-based solar system with Outback VFX3024E inverter and Midnite classic 200 charge controller at it's heart. I want to implement an automatic transfer switching between the grid and my solar set up based on battery voltage such that I can run my house from the batteries during the day (while the solar array charges my batteries at the same time) and also run on batteries at night until the batteries' voltage drops to a level (user-determined), by which time I want to switch to the grid to run the house and charge my batteries. I know I need an automatic transfer switch (ATS). I read that the Outback VFX3024E has an automatic transfer switch. Can it be used for this purpose or would I need a separate ATS to actualize my needs? I'm I missing the definition of the inverter's inbuilt automatic transfer switch? If yes, what's it's job then?
    What you are asking for is probably more than can be done with an "off the shelf" inverter--I am sure it can be done, but you would need to setup up a controller to monitor you energy usage and be able to do the transfers/charging control you ask for (I am no expert--I would have to do a lot more reading too of the Outback specifications and product lines).

You can probably make things a bit simpler if you change your request... More or less, running from a battery bank+solar does not save much money. Depending on prices for grid power, battery banks, etc.--Most places, at best, you would break even running from utility vs battery power (batteries are not cheap, and as you use them, they wear out).

If you were to do the standard charge with solar during the day (large enough solar array) and run the inverter when their is a utility failure, then switch back to utility power when it is back--That would be a good start. And if you have enough solar array--You can just disable the AC inverter's utility function.... (or manual enable when needed--Poor weather, used more battery power than planned, etc.).

That is my first take on your setup/needs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset