RTS ISSUE

alcatel99
alcatel99 Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
I just got my 24 volt system fired up on start up the Tristar 60 controller was showing a charging fault which after checking all my wiring turned out to be the Remote temp sensor which i had placed between the batteries it does have a battery terminal fitting so i was wondering which side of the battery it should go pos/neg when i disconnected it from the charger the fault went away and it is charging correctly ,my older12v system has the same controller but the RTS just came with bare wires so i had connected them on first and last batteries.
any ideas Thanks

Comments

• rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Not sure it matters which side of the battery (terminal) you connect it to. Being connected to a terminal does give more accurate internal temp of the battery.  I believe mine is on the negative side and closest to the center of the bank.  Also, make sure you are connecting to the RTS terminals and not the battery sense terminals.  Best I recall they look about the same inside the controller.  Make connections with controller powered down.  It should pick up the RTS on controller boot.
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being connected to a terminal also means, you measure any heat rise from terminal connection resistance, that would show up as heat around 50A or so, depending on how secure the terminal connections are.  
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• alcatel99
    alcatel99 Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Thank you guys I really appreciate your replies I have it all sorted now and its working great