Replacing Batteries.. looking for "Decent" ones!

Rngr275
Rngr275 Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭
Situation: Previous posts described an issue I was having with my 9 year old Trojan Batteries ( L16 RE 320Ah, 8 in series(48V) 2 strings in parallel  740 Ah total). Will be selling the homestead in the next year or two, but I want to have at least "Decent" batteries. If I was staying here I might consider some top of the line. Currently looking at Crown, US Batteries and Trojan. Have also be considering forklift batteries (2 24V to lighten up the weight). I currently have 4080Kw of panels which is border line for the current 740Ah battery bank. Might consider going bigger since I am also considering some additional solar. Basically, looking for battery recommendations where price, quality and longevity are the parameters for consideration. 

As always... Thanks
McD

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    My suggestion--Start looking at battery AH capacity that can give you a "single series string" of batteries... Whether those are large 12/24 volt "fork lift" sets, or individual 2 volt cells--That is your choice. 

https://www.solar-electric.com/tr673am6vode.html (6 volt FLA @ 703 AH @ 303 lbs @ $1,084 each * 8 series)
    https://www.solar-electric.com/fullriver-dc1150-2-agm-sealed-battery-2v-1150ah.html (2 volt AGM @ 1,150 AH @ 126 lbs @ $657 * 24)
    https://www.solar-electric.com/rolls-surrette-sealed-deep-cycle-s2-945agm.html (2 volt AGM @ 880 AH....)

303 lbs or less per battery, vs 1,000+ lbs for fork lift bank (12/24/etc).

If you go with a single string FLA bank--You now have 1/2 the number of cells to "water" vs your present bank... 1/2 the work. 1/2 the cost of similar quality AGM (~$8,700 FLA Trojan vs $15,700 for FullRiver--admittedly a 60% larger bank with FR).

The Trojan and FullRiver are both middle of the road battery companies--From what I have read. The Trojan FLA should last as long or longer than the AGM batteries with good maintenance.

Forklift batteries--If you have a bad cell--Check to see that you can get a replacment and what the process is (cell replacement can be done--but is this something you or bringing out a tech to replace... etc..)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The store here sells many brands and a single string is the way to go. Stay away from the 2V flooded trojan battery for maintenance reasons if you go to 2V cells. A good case could be made to just do what you have been doing also!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Thank you Dave,

Yea--I forgot that large 2 volt Trojan is actually 3x 2 volt cells in parallel... You have check the water in all three caps. Not much different vs just three parallel strings of batteries (your 2 parallel strings are "better" vs the single string of 2 volt Trojan).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Can't see any reason for thanks unless I pour an adult beverage. A bit early !  Appreciate it anyways. Fully vaccinated here, Happy Hour at 5 ;)

The 2V US battery and Surrettes are fine and all I use. Not sure about Crown though.
    The 2V Trojan still would be better from a longevity (1 string)  and terrible in added maintenance, watering and SG.

I have a client with the 2V Trojans and he was in a rush when I told him not to pull the trigger. US battery builds their 2V for each customer and there is a often a long lead time. That was 12 years ago so he did not do too bad. 

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't go out and check right now, but in the past Trojan has made both 3 cell 2 volt and single cell 2 volt batteries.

Basically, I fully agree a 3 cell, 2 volt battery is just silly...

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited April 2021 #7
    Right here in the store, the industrial Trojans are 1 cell @ about $900. The type that most people buy and are stocked at dealers, are 3 or $400 and have 3 cells for a 2V battery.