Rack mount combiner or remote mount with conduit entry?

fswank
fswank Registered Users Posts: 3
I’m putting in a 6 panel off-grid system on our roof and was I initially thinking of mounting the Midnight MNPV6 combiner we have remotely at ground level and running the PV wires ~ 50ft thru conduit to the combiner. Though now I’m thinking of mounting the combiner at the rack and just running the combined wires thru the conduit down to the charge controller because I’d be able to go with smaller conduit, have to pull less wires, and go for more oversized gage wires to both have a bit better expandability in the future and less resistance losses.  

However I’m struggling in finding mounting brackets or any other mounting info for how to mount the combiner to or near the rack.  Is there an easy way to mount the midnight combiner to the rack or the roof, or just a special bracket to buy?

On the other hand if I still did remote mount the combiner I’m not exactly sure the best way to have the wires enter the conduit (simple rack mount junction box with glands or something like a weatherhead?)

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fswank said:
    I’m putting in a 6 panel off-grid system on our roof and was I initially thinking of mounting the Midnight MNPV6 combiner we have remotely ...
    You don't need a combiner is you are running 2 strings of 3 panels, you could just use 'Y' connectors;

mc4 Y solar connector  Stuart Marine Malta
    fswank said:
    On the other hand if I still did remote mount the combiner I’m not exactly sure the best way to have the wires enter the conduit (simple rack mount junction box with glands or something like a weatherhead?)

If you do use a combiner box like the MNPV6, it will allow for the combining to be output in conduit, You can use water proof strain reliefs with them. You can find these water proof strain reliefs that will handle 2 or 3 wires each.

This my my 'salvaged' combiner box, rebuilt from a positive ground system (the reason for the cooling fins on the side). I use water proof strain reliefs, and out put through conduit.

I bought my strain reliefs through Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, or sponsor!;

Here's an example of a strain relief that handles 2 wires, be careful when you order to get ones that work with your size wire and knock out!

MidNite Solar MNSR-600 Heyco Strain Relief Connector With LocknutMidNite Solar MNSR-600 Heyco Strain Relief Connector With Locknut

This is the single wire type for small 1/2" knock outs;
    Nylon Strain Relief Liquid Tight Connector and Locknut for 12 Knock Out
    Link;
    Nylon strain relief liquid tight 1/2" Conduit | Northern Arizona Wind & Sun (solar-electric.com)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.