Schneider MPPT 80 vs MPPT 100

DickyDck
DickyDck Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭
Only a difference in price of 150 dollars between the 2 models, would there be any reason not to get the 100 over the 80? Seems like other than one being 80amp and one being 100 amp and the total W capable, there would be no reason to get the MPPT 80 unless you are really trying to save every last buck.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much, the 80 amp appears to be slightly higher efficiency;

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • DickyDck
    edited April 2021 #3
    I didn't even look at that particular section, the efficiency part that is, but you are right it is a very small difference. I know I was talking about it in a previous post of mine replacing my 2x 60-150s, and at the time I didn't even see that the MPPT 100-600 was out and available. The dimensions are the same which matters for me since the wall the old 60-150s are on is kinda cramped already, and these are easily much taller and a bit wider. If I am going to spend something like 2500 dollars on replacements, may as well get the most output I can for a very minimal price difference. Anybody happen to if these are basically just bigger MPPT with the same connections, or if setting these up is different from their smaller siblings the 60-150s
  • DickyDck
    and I am running at 48v so it is only 1% difference between the two on efficiency, but 1200w difference in max capable output. seems like an easy decision here
  • DickyDck
    also, can you mix these? I know it isn't best practice I'm sure, but could I have one MPPT 60-150 and replace the other with a MPPT 100-800?

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    All will work on xanbus.
     Humble opinion, the -80 will go away when stock is depleted in the chain. Too expensive to maintain similar platforms.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• DickyDck
    All will work on xanbus.
     Humble opinion, the -80 will go away when stock is depleted in the chain. Too expensive to maintain similar platforms.
    THank you good sir, was hoping you would mention your thoughts, as I recall you are the forum Schneider expert! this would save me some money, increase my output capabilities, and I think it will save me some paperwork. I believe I have to file permits if I break 10kw capabilities with my equipment in my locale, they will qualify me as a power plant or some nonsense. but if I use 1x 60-150 and 1x 80-600 that leaves me under 10kw. Thanks again everyone!
  • DickyDck
    anyone happen to have a discount coupon or code for NAWS store? I figure I should put something back to the community for all the help I get here.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I was on their website this morning and (I think) I saw a 5% new customer discount available... Otherwise, they sometimes have sales at different times (contact them and ask). And no sales tax on solar in Arizona (last I heard).

Also for some products, they have lower prices if your have a (free) account and login vs just looking on their website (again, I think--I am not employed by NAWS and have no "inside" information--Purely a volunteer here).

-Bill "an unpaid volunteer" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DickyDck
    THanks! I reached out to them on the chat thing and got the code. I'm now going over the whole system and realize just adding the new MPPT might not make a difference. My XW6848+ is probably maxed out as well. 30x 320w panels = 9600w (in perfect conditions which VA is not) and 2x mppt60-150 in theory would get me 7kw again in perfect conditions, and the XW6848 has a 6800w nominal, with overload up to 8500 for short spurts. Looking at my combox reading I'm pretty sure I'm maxed out even with my current gear...
  • DickyDck
    just FYI, some of you might be wondering why I want so much power generation. I have a few BTC miners running off the main breaker which isn't registering on this graph, so the power being fed back to the grid about half of that is actually going to my mining gear. this setup has done very well for me especially with the crypto boost that happened earlier this year, so good I am thinking about adding to my mining farm, but still would like to have some additional power to offset the night time no-sun power consumption.