Help with battery bank

Options
Doug
Doug Registered Users Posts: 2
How do I add a battery bank to my 20'X30' off-grid camp which is wired and powered by a Honda 4000W generator? The generator is approx. 70' from the camp an underground cable from generator feeds power to a 100 amp service panel in the camp. The camp sets on a short concrete wall which sets on a concrete slab, leaves me with about a 32" crawl space. I live in northern Maine and heat with a wood stove and 2 propane vent less heaters, one is on the wall main floor of the camp, the other in the crawl space to keep pressure tank and water supply piping from freezing. My goal is use a battery bank at night and when leaving the camp to fish and ride SXS. I would also like to add a small solar set up down the road.  

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To use the energy from the batteries you will need an inverter. Easiest way is to get an inverter/charger to charge the battery bank and run things when the generator is off. You will want to figure out what type of inverter you need 120 only? 240 split?

Then figure out what DC voltage you want to run, likely a 48 volt system for all round performance.

Total watt hours before running the generator. This will be a bit of a balance thing, Heating and cooling rooms would be huge draws. Heating usually a non-starter, air conditioning with solar support a possibility. This will help determine the size of battery bank and inverter/charger.

Cheap option like the the Samlex EVO 1200 watt 24 volt inverter/charger is a good minimal size. 1200 watts should run lights fans and a fridge. Runs about $600;

Samlex EVO-1224F-HW 1200W, 24V Pure Sine Inverter/Charger | DonRowe.com

3500 watt to 4500 watt is a good size for running air conditioning, but would require a sizable battery bank.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Doug
    Doug Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the info appreciated!
  • wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi Doug , I’ve been using golf cart cart battery’s I’m on my 3rd season with them . 
     My panels where covered with snow this year so I was charging Daly with a Honda 2800watt generator . 
     I charge about 11/2 hours a day for 3 days and then  4 hours for full charge on day 4 I use a 3600 watt 48 volt out back system 120 v  ac . 
     You really need to work in some solar even just 1000 watts 3 panels is a big game changer
     I really liked the EVO inverters for thin money . 
     At the end of the day I went with the out back the guys at AWS sold me on it . 
      I did a lot  of reading and I was talking with the guys here on the forum .  
       The biggest thing is if I call the AWS store pretty much any one there can answer and outback question? 
         The EVO not so much . 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .